You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-06 19:38:09

random.bits

Wombat (Arch 0.7) Kernal build from source problem

Using the large Arch 0.7 ISO and selecting build Kernel 2.6 from source, the command "make menuconfig" fails because the ncurses library is not present.
I am able to start the build of the kernel using the default .config file. There were a number of warnings for configuration variables no longer being used, and a number of features had been deprecated. Its not finished yet, but I suspect it will work ok.

I may install the pre-built kernels just in case the config file is incorrect.

Should I put this in as a problem, or is it already fixed in 0.8?

#2 2005-02-06 21:26:18

jerem

Re: Wombat (Arch 0.7) Kernal build from source problem

You must chroot in the environment from another vc  in order to compile the kernel.:arrow:

If you simply go to /mnt/usr/src it wont work since the paths are not set that's why it does not find ncurses.?

[ALT]+[F2]
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
cd /usr/src
make menuconfig
cp .config /boot/
cp arch/i328/boot/bzImage /boot/linux
cp System.map /boot

** install grub **

** edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Arch Linux
root (hdX,x)
kernel /linux root=/dev/hdXx ro [devfs=nomount] [lapic]

#3 2005-02-06 21:48:20

random.bits

Re: Wombat (Arch 0.7) Kernal build from source problem

Actually, the instructions are quite good and I did follow them  smile
It's pretty easy, since you can alt between F1 and F2 and check what you have to type.

I going through the whole process again, since I did not like the error messages I was getting. As in the earlier case, I am only installing base (which includes ncurses.)

I am not going to build the kernel from source this time, but wait until the system is up before doing that.

I have never seen this problem before with the beta's of 0.7, so I am going to assume its a fluke. I have used beta's of Wombat on 9 machines and this was the first time it happened.

If no one else has had this problem, I am going to assume its my fault.
No big deal.

Board footer