You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-25 18:00:07

falke

Load balancing on Archlinux

Hi!

I'm interested on doing load balancing on my Arch server. I searched the entiere internet but all i can find is tutorials like this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … es-672602/
or similar who I end up having two WLAN conections with the default gw of one of them, so the apps always go out on the same interface. Other tutorials are directly icomprensible for me. hmm

I also readed about network bonding, but, so far i undestand, that is only for the same network.

What I wanna do:
I have two WLAN interfaces (wlan0, wlan1) who are connected to two Inet connections (2x10 Mbps). With some software connect both networks together so i get a connection of 20 Mbps, then redirect that connection to other interface (eth0) so my server can act as gateway for the other computers of my network.

The main question is: ¿Is this even posible without special hardware?, and if yes, ¿how?

Answers will be apriciated

P.D.: Sorry for my bad english. roll

#2 2009-11-25 20:42:29

frefyx

Re: Load balancing on Archlinux

I'm not sure if this help you, but it's not that easy to join two networks together. If you take the reason why, it's because of different IP addresses. If you are downloading something from the Internet you would have to divide the data into two different IP addresses = two different computers. Thing you can do is auto-balance use of wlan0 and wlan1 according to the usage. So, script will forward for first user packets on wlan0 and if somebody else connects he will get forwarded to wlan1. If there are more people you need to divide network bandwidth in different way, but I don't see way how to get 20Mbps with a single computer on a single TCP connection working as normal. It's possible to ask server for portion of data with wlan0 and then for the second portion on wlan1, but it may be complicated for data downloads with server sessions attached to the IP.

Last edited by frefyx (2009-11-25 20:45:44)

#3 2009-11-25 21:59:34

falke

What I want is that, when I download 2 files, the first goes trough wlan0 and the second trough wlan1 and so on. If my server notices that wlan0 is more ocuped than wlan1 the next download goes trough wlan1, ...

#4 2009-11-25 23:09:23

anrxc
Website

If my server notices that wlan0 is more ocuped than wlan1 the next download goes trough wlan1, ...

Well that's what load balancing is. Not making magic, turning two 10Mbps links into a 20Mbps link.

There was already talk about this before, last one just recently http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79634

You need to install an RTFM interface.

Board footer