You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-30 07:10:54

mrjwalsh

Arch vs other distro config file locations

Hey all,
Has anyone ever written up a comparison table that shows the location of key files and folders in Arch vs other key distributions (Debian, Red Hat etc)? For example where is the equivalent information stored in rc.conf found in Debian? Does it share a one to many or many to many relationship?

The reason I ask is I have learnt most of my admin skills on Arch but I wanted to build a Debian server, I've had a look at Debian before and noticed that alot of the config stuff is in completely different locations, I'm not sure if they're in more "standard" locations but Arch does tend to do most things it's own way ;D

Even though I'm moving a server away from Arch such a comparison cheat sheet file could be good for people looking to move over to Arch from other popular distro's.

#2 2009-11-30 10:05:55

fumbles

Re: Arch vs other distro config file locations

The closest I can thing of  (which I've used in the past) is:

http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

Although it's more for comparing Unices (or Unixes?).

#3 2009-11-30 11:27:47

Gen2ly
Website

Re: Arch vs other distro config file locations

Actually mrjwalsh, it's the other way around.  Debian does a good deal of customizing, re-arranging of configurations, altering of configurations.  I got a Debian server (which btw is good for a server) but it took a good deal to setup because of the way Debian package developers choose to place files, and creating scripts to do auto-configuring.  Arch tries to keep it simple by using the default settings (there are obviously some cases where this can't be done) to better be able to maintain a package.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

Board footer