You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-06 19:33:16

rpkita

[SOLVED] Help - slow link up and DHCP timeout, connected via 3 bridges

Hi smile

I'm new to Arch and in setting up Linux.

I helped my kids' school fixing this old computer. I installed Arch, IceWM, and Kasehakaze.

I need some helps with an issue, slow link up and unable to get IP address from DHCP server.
When I connected it directly to my router at home, it worked fine, got the IP, got the link fast.

Now when I brought this PC back to school where it belongs, it can't get the IP address.
At school this PC got the internet connection via a D-Link 614+ router (that runs as a switch) that's hard-wired to a repeater bridge (WRT54G with DD-WRT).  The repeater bridge connected to the main router via an extender (WRE54G).  The main router (in the other building) is WPN824.

So, probably I can say that it's connected via 3 bridges?

I know the networking setup works fine because there are 2 other old PCs running Win XP connected to the D-Link 614+ and they got IP address fine (even though it takes a while to get the IP, and a little bit slow to get the link up).

Now, in the Arch PC, at boot up there's a message something like "dhcp NAK rejected".

One time it's connected to the Internet, but then the connection is gone.

I tried to do ifconfig eth0 up, and ifconfig eth0 down, doesn't work.

So, I guess I need to increase DHCP Timeout, and need to address the slow link up.

1. How to increase DHCP timeout? I have been searching the forum, but can't seem an exact answer in which file to put DHCP_TIMEOUT.

2. If there's such thing, what's the best way to address slow link up (how to make Arch not timing out waiting for the link up)?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate any help smile

Last edited by rpkita (2009-11-10 00:36:27)

#2 2009-11-06 21:50:41

rpkita

Re: [SOLVED] Help - slow link up and DHCP timeout, connected via 3 bridges

I just tried these, and it didn't help:

Put this line below in /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd:
DHCP_TIMEOUT=60

Comment out this line in /etc/dhcpcd.conf:
#require dhcp_server_identifier

I got this at boot up:
dhcp: xxx: NAK:  <--- (I forgot the xxx part)
dhcp: timeout

I was wondering, is there a way to set how many retries the DHCP will try to get the IP?
What caused the NAK?

Thanks smile

#3 2009-11-07 00:29:27

ckristi

Maybe the DHCP server leases IP only for known MAC addresses. Check the router configuration for this.

In love I believe and in Linux I trust

#4 2009-11-07 01:10:16

rpkita

ckristi wrote:

Maybe the DHCP server leases IP only for known MAC addresses. Check the router configuration for this.

Hi ckristi, unfortunately this is not the case. The MAC filtering is not enabled in the router. (I was the one who set up and configure the network).

Btw, I noticed, even though I set DHCP_TIMEOUT = 60, but at boot-up I noticed it only waits for the dhcp response for 15 - 20 seconds only.

Is it possible that I didn't set the timeout correctly? Where's the correct place to set it?

Thanks smile

#5 2009-11-10 00:35:47

rpkita

I decided to go with static IP (even though I prefer DHCP), and it works fine now.

I'm still curious though, how to set DHCP timeout properly in Arch.

Thanks.

#6 2009-12-05 21:14:32

intellitech
Website

if you're still curious how to set the DHCP timeout properly..

# /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd

DHCPCD_ARGS="-C resolv.conf -q -t 60"

With regards,
Adam Eberlin

My AUR Packages

Board footer