You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-30 23:55:21

dekernel

samba connection issues

Well, at some point, it would appear that my Samba shares stopped being available. If I attempt to navigate from my laptop to the share, I just keep getting challanged for a username/password. When I look through my samba.log file, all I am seeing is this error:

[2009/11/30 18:43:39,  0] smbd/server.c:457(smbd_open_one_socket)
  smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address already in use

I am going to assume that something broke on one of the updates since I had this working for quite some time before the last few weeks. I did a quick Google search and see some issues posted in the Ubuntu forums, but no real answers.

Anybody else seeing these errors?

#2 2009-12-01 01:54:43

dekernel

Re: samba connection issues

Note: when I downgrade to 3.3.7, life is good so it would appear that something is wrong in the latest samba code

#3 2009-12-06 06:27:55

rasmusfisker

Yeah I'm seeing both that error, and I have also started getting an error that looks like it's related to some ipv6 issues:

Matchname failed on x.y.z ::ffff:192.168.1.1

I tried everything, connecting from various windows based pc's, but I kept getting that error. Tried disabling ipv6, but that just resulted in silent errors. I also keep getting challenged for username/password, and get the above error.

For now I have compiled my own samba, which I run out of /usr/local. I hope someone can enlighten me/us on this problem, since my samba has been running for years through multiple arch-updates, and now brutally stopped.

Could it be ipv6 DNS issues? I run my own DNS.

/Rassie

#4 2009-12-06 08:22:17

jib2

Did you look at the changelog? Since 3.4 users and passwords are stored in a new db; you have to re-add users and passwords OR specify in smb.conf that you want to use the old way.

#5 2009-12-07 16:32:49

rasmusfisker

That actually seemed to be the problem, pretty simple when you know it. Yes I did look at the changelog, but the upgrade from pacman was from 3.3.7 to 3.4.3, and the changelog immediately available for that version does not seem to indicate I had to specify I wanted to use the old format. Furthermore I would have expected a .pacnew file if any important changes were made to the configfile.

Anyway I'm just glad it's working again, thanks. smile

Board footer