You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-15 23:36:05

scottbg1

(SOLVED) ssb conflict with wl

There is tons of info about this but everyones solution is only a trade off for me.

Module ssb is keeping wl from loading and I have no wireless.(bcm4328)

If I rmmod ssb, then my wireless works but at the cost of my ethernet card.(bcm4401)

The ethernet card, which uses the b44 driver, will not load without ssb present. Reactivate ssb, I now have a wired connection....bye bye wireless.

Ive tried loading the modules in rc.conf in order starting with the wireless set, then the wired stuff, without rmmod'ing anything. Wireless indeed loads but no wired.

I know what your thinking, disable one or the other and get on with my life, but I use a wired connection from time to time when there is no wifi around.

This is a fresh build of Arch on a Dell laptop. I haven't even loaded Xorg yet. I just wanted to see if I could get it working before I put a desktop on it.

I THINK that e1000 will work on the ethernet card as I remember a distro I was test driving a few months back loading it. I was actually a little suprised that it worked. Is it worth trying that? If so, how would you go about convincing Arch to load it in B44's place??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by scottbg1 (2009-12-17 07:49:23)

#2 2009-12-15 23:52:15

ewaller
Administrator

Re: (SOLVED) ssb conflict with wl

I would have thought that if you reordered your MODULES= line in /etc/rc.d such that the modules appear in the following order:

wl
ssb
b44

It would work.  If I understand correctly, it did not.

To load the e1000 instead of b44, all you should have to do is:
MODULES="!ssb !b44 wl e1000 ...

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2009-12-16 06:52:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

FYI under kernel 2.6.32, the b43 driver supports your 4328 chipset, so this issue will be solved. You can use 2.6.32 now by enabling the testing repo.

#4 2009-12-16 07:45:44

scottbg1

You know ewaller, i didn't try including ssb in the line up as if you load either b43 or b44, ssb would pop back up out of no where even after disabling it, so I didn't even think about trying that. Its worth a shot. I will try that when I get home.

Tom, that is great news. I learned that I had the red headed step child of wireless cards from my very first linux experience. The joy I have experienced with Ndiswrapper is unparalleled to anything other than a close second to a root canal. I thought God was smiling on me when they came up with Broadcom-wl. After hearing your news, and if somebody would write something that would come close to Adobe photoshop or premiere pro I will eat my Vista DVD.

This is my first experience with Arch. I wanted to see if I could configure a distro from the second floor up, and this has been perfect. Challenging but rewarding. I always thought RPM was the way to go, but I have been presently surprised at how easy this comes together once you learn the way of the Arch.

Thanks for the help guys. I will post back with results if you care to know.

Merry Christmas

#5 2009-12-17 07:49:06

scottbg1

Ok, I got it working.

I had the module order correct.

I confirmed this by finding this wiki:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_BCM4312

The guy, or one of the guys who wrote it had the same configuration as I did. But why wasn't mine working?????

Because of the module order, my wireless was being named eth0.

But I remembered that in rc.conf in the network section that static IP interface was set to eth0 as well.

But because of the order, the wireless card was squatting there and the ethernet card had no place to call home.

So I changed the interface to eth1, and TA DA!! I now have wireless and wired both together.

To figure this linux stuff out, you just need patience, persistance, and lotsof Diet Coke.

Thanks guys.

I hope this helps someone out.

#6 2009-12-17 22:31:35

tomk
Forum Fellow

Not sure how you "changed the interface to eth1", but it works like this:

The first network module loaded creates the eth0 interface, the second creates eth1, the third eth2... etc.

I'm glad you've resolved your issue - I hope the above helps with general understanding.

#7 2009-12-18 05:18:27

scottbg1

Hi tom,

In rc.conf under networking, under static IP are the lines:

eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)

I changed the 0's to 1's

eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth1)

I'm not sure as it may be a fluke but it certanly worked. smile

#8 2009-12-18 08:33:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

OK... just one more thing then: if you're using dhcp, you're not using a static IP.

Board footer