You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-24 20:17:34

dekernel

cups: Print-Job client-error-not-authorized

I am trying to print to a HP printer from my XP machine that my print server has configured. From the cups admin page, I can print the test page so I am assuming that I have that portion configured correctly. I can add the printer to the XP machine via:
http://printmaster:631/printers/HPOffice5610
so since XP is allowing the printer to be added, he is seeing the printer from cups.

When I go to print the test page from the XP printer dialog (not the cups admin page), I seem to get the "Print-Job client-error-not-authorized" error, and I don't know why. I believe I have turned off all possible authentication issues. Here is my cupsd.conf file:

LogLevel warn
SystemGroup sys root
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Share local printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseRemoteProtocols
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  # Allow remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
    #Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    Allow localhost
    Allow 172.16.1.*
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow localhost
    Allow 172.16.1.*
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    Allow localhost
    Allow 172.16.1.*
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow localhost
    Allow 172.16.1.*
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow localhost
    Allow 172.16.1.*
  </Limit>
</Policy>
<Policy authenticated>
  <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI>
  Order deny,allow
  Allow localhost
  Allow 172.16.1.*
</Limit>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
Order deny,allow
Allow localhost
Allow 172.16.1.*
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
  #Require user @SYSTEM
  Order deny,allow
  Allow localhost
  Allow 172.16.1.*
    </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    #Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    Allow localhost
    Allow 172.16.1.*
      </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
      Order deny,allow
        </Limit>
  <Limit All>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow localhost
        Allow 172.16.1.*
          </Limit>
</Policy>

Here is what I am seeing in the error log:

E [24/Dec/2009:15:00:55 -0500] Returning IPP client-error-not-authorized for Print-Job (http://printmaster:631/printers/HPOffice5610) from 172.16.1.12

I am missing something, but for the life of me, I just don't see it.

#2 2009-12-26 03:30:03

dekernel

Re: cups: Print-Job client-error-not-authorized

Well, I guess I am now making some progress. I deleted and recreated the printer to see if that worked. Now I don't get any errors....but I also don't get any printout.

172.16.1.12 - - [25/Dec/2009:22:22:33 -0500] "POST /printers/HPOffice5610 HTTP/1.1" 200 112523 Print-Job successful-ok

I can print the test page, and when I look at the page log, I can see where it has accepted the print job (as far as I can tell)

ARGH!

#3 2009-12-26 04:25:05

dekernel

One last piece of info, I can print a text file from the shell with no issues. It just seems that I anything coming from http world (aka Windows) just seems to go through all the gyrations except for the last part of actually sending something to the printer. **sigh**

#4 2010-11-17 16:46:47

hypercubist

Hello all!

I had a quite similar problem. A USB-printer (HP LaserJet 1000) was connected to a Linux-server (Debian 5 testing, CUPS). I wanted to allow printing from a Windows-client (Vista) by means of CUPS only, without samba. I shared the printer changing the file cupsd.conf:

<Location />
  # Allow shared printing...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
</Location>

A remote printer with the address http://xx.xx.xx.xx:631/printer/HP_LaserJet_1000 was successfully installed on the Vista-client, but printing test page failed. There was a line in a log file (/var/log/cups/error_log):

... Returning IPP client-error-not-authorized for Print-Job

The following trick was helpful for me.

There was a slightly strange fact. When I looked at printer properties (CUPS via a browser — http://localhost:631/printer/HP_LaserJet1000), I saw the status like "waiting, accepting tasks, share access is not allowed" (sorry but I can't provide the exact english phrase because I use a russian Debian distributive). The last words "share access is not allowed" confused me, but I didn't know what they meant exactly. I believed that the printer was shared because I modified cupsd.conf according to manuals and printer was installed on Vista-client.

Having no better ideas, I decided that the printer name is too long and tried to change it. I opened the page http://localhost:631/printer/HP_LaserJet1000, clicked on "Administration" and chose in the dropdown list an item "Change printer". Than I chose the currently connected printer (usb://HP/LaserJet%201000) and clicked "continue". The following page contained fields "description", "location", "connection" and an option "share access" which was checked off. Naturally, I checked it on and proceeded to the next page. I remained an old driver, and at last got the message "the parameters/options successfully changed". After that, the status line of the printer (http://localhost:631/printer/HP_LaserJet1000) looked somewhat different: "waiting, accepting tasks, share access is allowed". I tried to send a test page to the printer from a Vista-client and it was successfully printed!

Yet it remains unclear which configuration file has been changed by checking on the option "share access". I compared old and new cupsd.conf and have found no difference. However that may be, the described trick helped me.

Last edited by hypercubist (2010-11-17 16:58:01)

Board footer