You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-15 03:39:00

XDelusion

Linux, keeping a GUI from auto-loading?

In some distros, they auto-boot you into KDE...

...how do you keep it from doing this?

#2 2005-02-15 03:49:30

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Linux, keeping a GUI from auto-loading?

not sure, I guess it would depend on the distro. You could always try passing a different runlevel during boot. Like in grub appending "init 3" to the end of the kernel line.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-02-15 03:53:31

XDelusion

I'm pretty new to this and have  no idea what you just said. smile

I'm using Madrake 10.1 lite BTW.

#4 2005-02-15 05:51:26

stonecrest

What are you trying to do? Boot into the command line or use a different desktop environment or what?

I am a gated community.

#5 2005-02-15 06:28:49

XDelusion

ya, I'd like to boot into a comman line first off.

Secondaly I'd like to install XFCE4.

I'd use ArchLinux, but it gives me a LOT of hardware hassels that Mandrake didn't.

#6 2005-02-15 08:18:07

Pajaro

I'm pretty new to this and have no idea what you just said. smile

haha  lol

#7 2005-02-15 09:04:36

mico

You don't need to stop the GUI to install XFCE. I'm sure Mandrake has some graphical utility to install packages. Find it (browse the K menu), install it, then log off. You'll probably then be able to choose xfce session from the menu in login screen (if you are using KDM).

#8 2005-02-15 09:28:41

IceRAM
Website

XDelusion wrote:

I'd use ArchLinux, but it gives me a LOT of hardware hassels that Mandrake didn't.

That means you have a working hardware config ready to be ported to ArchLinux wink

... too bad I have no idea where the config resides... everything is soooo... GUI... in the Mandrake world...

ontopic: don't you use KDM or something like that as a login manager? Once you install XFCE, it should appear in the Desktop Environments list (there's a dropdown list somewhere there). I don't know how to change KDM in Mandrake though...

#9 2005-02-15 11:04:43

tranquility

XDelusion wrote:

I'm pretty new to this and have  no idea what you just said. smile

I'm using Madrake 10.1 lite BTW.

Then how about posting that question in mandrake's forums, wherever they are? I'll remind you this is the Arch Linux forum you know...

#10 2005-02-15 15:50:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

XDelusion wrote:

So why post here? *sigh*

Anyway... to not boot into command line:

as root, edit /etc/inittab (stands for Init Table)... there should be a line that says "initdefault:5" - most likely you want to switch the 5 to a 3 to just boot into console...

I'm not 100% sure if mandrake does it this way... but you can try

#11 2005-02-15 21:26:08

Stinky

Mandrake does do it that way.  I used it before I knew any better.  :-P
Don't yell at me!  LOL
in /etc/inittab
Change "initdefault:5" to "initdefault:3"

#12 2005-02-15 22:07:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

now that i think about it, the line should be:

id:5:initdefault

switch it to

id:3:initdefault

#13 2005-02-16 01:27:31

XDelusion

IceRAM: You mean I can copy the hardware settings files from one distro and use them in another?

I have a VooDoo 2 banshee I'd like to see working, as well as ANY of my sound cards as Arch doesn't seem sound card friendly with any brand I've thrown at it.

Aside of that, as far as coming with everything you need to get going, it is awsome...

...I'd MUCH rather be using that than Mandrake, but atm I'm too much of a newbie to understand how to fix the problems at hand.

#14 2005-02-16 03:22:08

Stinky

Ummmmm...If I remember right, your mandrake X config lives in /etc/X11 and is called XF86Config-4.   If I don't have the exact location, just search for that file name.  Just copy it to your arch setup into /etc/X11 and rename it to XF86Config or xorg.conf.  Depending on whether you're using XFree or xorg.

#15 2005-02-16 10:39:04

FUBAR
Website

XDelusion wrote:

IceRAM: You mean I can copy the hardware settings files from one distro and use them in another?

Make a backup of /etc. When you've installed a new distro and things don't work, compare the config-files in /etc with the ones in the backed up /etc.

XDelusion wrote:

I have a VooDoo 2 banshee I'd like to see working, as well as ANY of my sound cards as Arch doesn't seem sound card friendly with any brand I've thrown at it.

I have no experience with Voodoo's but I'm sure it's just a matter of choosing the right driver in X.org's config. Google is your friend.
The same goes for sound cards. Whether they work or not usually isn't specific to the distro you try them on. My sound card (TerraTec DMX Xfire 1024) has worked on every distro I tried so far (SuSE, Mandrake, Gentoo, Arch). You just have to figure out how Alsa or OSS (the "soundproject" for Linux, makes your soundcard work) works. Again, Google is your friend. And for Arch, there are a lot of other places to look for info (this forum, Wiki, IRC).
Using a certain distro simply because it configures the sound card during install is an argument for people who don't care what they're running in the first place ("as long as it works out of the box").

XDelusion wrote:

Aside of that, as far as coming with everything you need to get going, it is awsome...

...I'd MUCH rather be using that than Mandrake, but atm I'm too much of a newbie to understand how to fix the problems at hand.

If you don't plan on doing anything yourself to get something working, you probably should stay away from Linux: even in Mandrake you'll run into something the magic wizard can't fix for you. That's where you do the effort of searching and trying and eventually learning something. This is true for any distro (even OS, since ultimately everybody started out as a complete noob).

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#16 2005-02-16 12:28:10

IceRAM
Website

Err.. yes.
Everything that was said above is true.

(got a bit late here - had an exam today)

Board footer