You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-28 23:15:01

CasparV
Website

SFTP and rsync crashing, and taking down the whole system with them

Hi everyone,

Never before I had to resort to the forums, but now I've got a problem I can't seem to solve, no matter how hard I try. Maybe someone on the forums can help me?

Both rsync and sftp (fish:// in konqueror) freeze my server, when I transfer a large file with them. The machine does not respond to anything, and a hardware reset is required.

I first noticed this, when my server ("bluebox") started crashing daily, always just a while after the cron'ed daily backup ran from my workstation ("caspar") (using rsync):

rsync -v -rltD -e ssh --numeric-ids --delete --exclude /proc / caspar@bluebox:/home/caspar/backups/workstation/files/

It always hung on a VirtualBox harddisk file, "WinXP Fundamentals.vdi", 3.4G in size. Sometimes 1.1G was transferred before crashing, sometimes only 700M.

I also tried copying this file with fish://bluebox in Konqueror, again a total freeze of the system after a few hundred MB. Copying with tar over ssh did work though:

tar cvf - "WinXP Fundamentals.vdi" | ssh caspar@bluebox tar xvf -

This server is completely stable apart from this problem. The network has proven to be stable as well, as it's been serving aroung 100GB of various data per day for the past 2 years. Memtest86+ also did not reveal any problems.

Do you have any idea what might cause the crashes, and how I might be able to solve it?

Board footer