You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-30 07:09:16

archnoobie

Network Drive Mount Unable to View Files

I recently purchased a Buffalo flexnet 1TB drive for my parents. Both of them use Windows, and mount works fine for the two of them. I, however, have two machines on which I use Arch. I'm having trouble mounting the drive on my own machines.
One, I named the drive netdrive, but when I try to mount it using mount -t cifs //netdrive/share /path/to/mount, it says it can't resolve address for netdrive. It works, however, if I use //hd-celu2-ed4a/share which is the default drive name. //netdrive/share works on the Windows machines, and I don't understand what's going on.
Two, if I do mount using the IP address of the default server name, it will successfully mount, but I can't see any of the files on the drive. If I do "touch test.txt", I can see the file on the windows side, but I can't see it form Arch. This is the same on both of my Arch machines.
How do I go about mounting this thing successfully, so I can view and edit file and such? Less important: how do I get it so that it mounts with the proper name? I would be plenty satisfied to have the answer to issue two with or without issue one solved.

#2 2009-12-30 07:15:09

archnoobie

Re: Network Drive Mount Unable to View Files

I figured out issue one. It was still named the default name on the router it was connected to. I still want to figure out how to mount it on my Arch boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 2009-12-30 07:27:29

mikesd
Website

Until someone knowledgeable about cifs and windows shares chimes in have a look at man mount.cifs.

Perhaps trying different combinations of user, password, uid, gid, etc may get things working.

There is a little info on the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Win … work_Share

#4 2009-12-31 19:52:06

archnoobie

Thanks for the help. I tried a couple of names and workgroups and the sambanet mount and nothing has worked thusfar. I can't figure it out.

Board footer