You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-31 17:32:59

CPUnltd
Website

[SOLVED] Arno blocks out good (gmail, etc) and bad web traffic

I have seen this issue all over the web, but no one seems to have come across a solution... while this firewall is running, sites like google are blocked from being used.  Google voice and calendar will work fine, but gmail and other areas of google come to a dead stop. Opening the interface for the firewall, it shows all the addresses that are being blocked when trying to connect to google.  I'm going to do a google search for a whitelist (or way to implement one) for arno to recognize.  This is a decent firewall and I'd like to keep using it (especially for my laptop) but since a lot of what I do revolves around my gmail account, I NEED to fix this issue if I am gonna stick with this firewall solution.  If anyone knows of anything or has suggestions on this topic, please post.  Thanks in advance!

EDIT: the main reason I am leaving this thread here after solving it on my own within a couple of minutes is that there was no answer that i could find here in the forum, so I figure I'll leave this around for others who may be stuck on this topic... will add a keyword or two to the subject for easier searching as well...

Last edited by CPUnltd (2009-12-31 17:46:58)

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#2 2009-12-31 17:43:44

CPUnltd
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Arno blocks out good (gmail, etc) and bad web traffic

ok, seems like hosts.allow is sufficient to fix said problem.  Out of the 4 or 5 googled pages I saw (when searching for "arno iptables firewall whitelist" only one link actually suggested this solution (without having to search the actual link)... http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-use … l-ufw.html

that may have seemed like the easy way out, but i am one who lives by the law of least effort (do less, accomplish more) so take it how you will... tongue     granted, if I had done a search for arno and hosts.allow, I may have gotten better results... haha.

#3 2009-12-31 18:43:48

quarkup
Website

don't double post smile

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#4 2009-12-31 20:17:07

CPUnltd
Website

what do you mean?  this is separate from my other post.  My other psot was about arno not starting at all, where this one was about it blocking sites...  I believe those are different topics... correct me if I'm wrong...

#5 2010-01-01 16:23:24

quarkup
Website

oh okay. they look simillar big_smile

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Board footer