You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-10 02:37:42

securitybreach
Website

Xmonad screen blanking on desktop---unresponsive mouse/keyboard

To begin with I am running Archlinux x86_64 and I noticed when I came home from work last night that my monitors went black and the keyboard/mouse was unresponsive.I tried stopping xscreensaver to see if it was the problem, but I got the same thing without xscreensaver running.  I am running XMonad  0.9-2 / XMobar 0.9.2-1 with nvidia 190.53-3 drivers. Here is my ~/.xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#
xscreensaver -no-splash &
numlockx &
nitrogen --restore &
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
.scripts/conkyscript &
exec ck-launch-session xmonad

I do not really see any errors in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log but here it is http://pastebin.com/f3741f2e

Any ideals what is going on? I have been looking at this thread http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=88402 but I have a desktop and no KDE. It has to be one of the packages I updated but I am not seeing any errors anywhere.

Xmonad/Xmobar has not been updated so I do not think it is the window manager.

Last edited by securitybreach (2010-01-10 03:23:14)

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
Website      Configs
Forum Admin: Bruno's All Things Linux   
securitybreach<a>archlinux.us

#2 2010-01-10 15:50:48

clanger

Re: Xmonad screen blanking on desktop---unresponsive mouse/keyboard

Disclaimer: I don't know the details of this, but I have had this issue before and this is what I remember from my forum crawling.

From your Xorg.0.log it looks like your using input hotplugging. Are dbus and hal running? If not install them and start them (or add them to DAEMONS and reboot) and try again.

Alternatively, disable input hotplugging by putting the following in your ServerFlags section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (back up your existing xorg.conf first!).

Option   "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
Option   "AutoAddDevices" "False"
Option   "AutoEnableDevices" "False"

You will lose the benefits of hotplugging if you do this, but for me it was the only way I could get X with my keyboard working. You might want to remove HAL and dbus if your doing it this way.

Good luck, if it still doesn't work post your xorg.conf and new Xorg.0.log.

Last edited by clanger (2010-01-10 15:51:49)

#3 2010-01-10 15:58:06

skottish
Forum Fellow

I don't know if it's related, but you should put an & after the xsetroot line.

#4 2010-01-10 16:04:01

securitybreach
Website

clanger wrote:

Disclaimer: I don't know the details of this, but I have had this issue before and this is what I remember from my forum crawling.

From your Xorg.0.log it looks like your using input hotplugging. Are dbus and hal running? If not install them and start them (or add them to DAEMONS and reboot) and try again.

Alternatively, disable input hotplugging by putting the following in your ServerFlags section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (back up your existing xorg.conf first!).

Option   "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
Option   "AutoAddDevices" "False"
Option   "AutoEnableDevices" "False"

You will lose the benefits of hotplugging if you do this, but for me it was the only way I could get X with my keyboard working. You might want to remove HAL and dbus if your doing it this way.

Good luck, if it still doesn't work post your xorg.conf and new Xorg.0.log.

Yes Dbus and Hal is running. The mouse/keyboard works perfectly as long as xscreensaver does not start. For some reason, I changed my xscreensaver to 720 minutes and the issue goes away. I thought I had disabled it but the daemon was still active is the reason it happened again. So it has something to do with xscreensaver.

THanks

Last edited by securitybreach (2010-01-10 16:05:26)

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
Website      Configs

#5 2010-01-10 16:04:48

securitybreach
Website

skottish wrote:

I don't know if it's related, but you should put an & after the xsetroot line.

Thanks alot. I just changed it.

Website      Configs

Board footer