You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-13 05:01:06

onguarde

testing/netcfg - Minor configuration issues

Peace all!

Everything works fine on a WPA2 authenticated connection using netcfg(x200 intel 5300). However, there are some minor issues.

Invalid error?

#netcfg NUSPEAP
:: NUSPEAP up                                                                                                                                                       [BUSY] 
> Invalid SECURITY setting: WPA-CONFIG
                                                                                                                                                                    [DONE]

Is it safe to ignore?

net-auto-wireless messing with wpa_supplicant.conf

# netcfg NUSPEAP
:: NUSPEAP up                                                                                                                                                       [BUSY]  > Invalid SECURITY setting: WPA-CONFIG
Line 19: WPA-PSK accepted for key management, but no PSK configured.
Line 19: failed to parse network block.
Line 23: WPA-PSK accepted for key management, but no PSK configured.
Line 23: failed to parse network block.
Line 27: WPA-PSK accepted for key management, but no PSK configured.
Line 27: failed to parse network block.
Line 31: WPA-PSK accepted for key management, but no PSK configured.
Line 31: failed to parse network block.
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
> wpa_supplicant did not start, possible configuration error

wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=2 

network={
    id_str="NUSPEAP"
        ssid="NUS"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
        eap=PEAP
        identity="******"
        password="*******"
        ca_cert="/etc/ca-certificates/ase1.pem"
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
}
network={

id_str="NUSPEAP"
}
network={

id_str="NUSPEAP"
}

The extra entries are appended each time I run net-auto-wireless. I've tried adding the id_str in the main block.

# net-auto-wireless start
/etc/rc.d/net-auto-wireless: line 13: exit_stderr: command not found
:: Starting netcfg auto-wireless mode for interface wlan0                                                                                                           [DONE]

Maybe the error message is relevant?

Btw, isn't net-auto-wireless/wired suppose to automatically detect an available profile and connect to it? I'm not really in favour of trying out each profile one by one as per rc.conf NETWORKS=(HOME NUSPEAP). It really adds to the boot time. Perhaps I should background them.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2010-01-13 05:26:56

Profjim

Re: testing/netcfg - Minor configuration issues

onguarde wrote:

#netcfg NUSPEAP
:: NUSPEAP up                                                                                                                                                       [BUSY] 
> Invalid SECURITY setting: WPA-CONFIG
                                                                                                                                                                    [DONE]

Is it safe to ignore?

"WPA-CONFIG" isn't a valid security setting. It needs to be "wpa-config" like it is in the examples.

Honestly, given that, I'm not sure why you got as far as you did. What directory is the wpa_supplicant.conf file you quoted from in?

network={

id_str="NUSPEAP"
}
network={

id_str="NUSPEAP"
}

The extra entries are appended each time I run net-auto-wireless. I've tried adding the id_str in the main block.

You mean net-auto-wireless is writing to your wpa_supplicant.conf file? I don't think it should be doing that.

/etc/rc.d/net-auto-wireless: line 13: exit_stderr: command not found
:: Starting netcfg auto-wireless mode for interface wlan0                                                                                                           [DONE]

This looks like a bug, probably my fault. James is has merged in some but not yet all of some code I've contributed to netcfg. I think this error comes from the fact that the merge isn't complete. I think it will be gone once we've synched up better.

But can you open a bug report? You can link to this thread.

#3 2010-01-13 11:00:49

onguarde

What directory is the wpa_supplicant.conf file you quoted from in?

It's in the default /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

:: Starting netcfg auto-wireless mode for interface wlan0                                                                                                           [FAIL]

For some weird reason, I can't seem to reproduce the error below. Maybe its because of other network managers running at that time? The weird repeated writing to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf seem to be gone too.

However, net-auto-wireless is still failing to start. Is there a log file somewhere to check what's going wrong?

Also, on some other unencrypted networks, there seems to be a problem in the ESSID stage.

Cell 11 - Address: 00:0F:34:00:08:20                                                   
                    Channel:11                                                                   
                    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)                                             
                    Quality=24/70  Signal level=-86 dBm                                         
                    Encryption key:off                                                           
                    ESSID:"NUSOPEN"                                                             
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s                           
                              11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s                                         
                    Bit Rates:24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s                                 
                    Mode:Master                                                                 
                    Extra:tsf=0000289f3c844273                                                   
                    Extra: Last beacon: 2946ms ago                                               
                    IE: Unknown: 00074E55534F50454E                                             
                    IE: Unknown: 010882848B0C12961824                                           
                    IE: Unknown: 03010B                                                         
                    IE: Unknown: 2A0100                                                         
                    IE: Unknown: 32043048606C                                                   
                    IE: Unknown: 9606004096001100                                               
                    IE: Unknown: DD06004096010100                                               
                    IE: Unknown: DD050040960303                                                 
                    IE: Unknown: DD1600409604000207A4000023A400004243000062320000               
                    IE: Unknown: DD180050F2020101020003A4000027A4000042435E0062322F00

# iwconfig wlan0 essid "NUSOPEN"
# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"NUSOPEN"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=14 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

# dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd: version 5.1.3 starting
dhcpcd: wlan0: waiting for carrier
dhcpcd: timed out

Again, is there any way to debug this?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Last edited by onguarde (2010-01-13 11:08:37)

#4 2010-01-13 13:48:28

Profjim

We've added debugging to the regular netcfg, and it's possible to send the debugging output to syslog if you're running netcfg in the background. This should be explained in the wiki/docs. We started to make net-auto-wireless use some of the same debugging hooks, but afaik, that's not fully implemented yet. I haven't been able follow netcfg recently to see how much has been done.

Are you having absolutely zero problems doing "netcfg your_profile" from the command line, with the net-auto-* daemons disabled? That's the first thing to isolate when debugging. It's harder to track down problems if the net-auto-* daemons are in the mix too.

Also try adding:

DHCP_TIMEOUT=30

to your profile.

Last edited by Profjim (2010-01-13 13:50:01)

Board footer