You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-18 01:01:45

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Suggest web-based record-keeping system with password-based security?

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions, I'm a member of a community project to set up a Guarded and Gated security system. We're kicking off next month, and I'm looking for a record-keeping system to keep track of payments by residents, would appreciate some ideas.

The features I'd prefer is:-
1) Password-based security
2) Easy to use for semi-computer literate people (preferably go-to-site, login, click and enter data, logout)
3) Shared access, can be modified by multiple people at once.
4) Data export, so I can keep a backup as required.

This system won't be used for keeping personal details, of course, that's done offline. We just need a central location where I can login and type that these 45 houses have paid, the sub-comm in charge of car stickers can check the payment status before issuing stickers, and finance can indicate that a cheque has bounced, etc. A simple spreadsheet-based layout would be sufficient I think.

So, I was thinking Google Documents for one, but don't know much about whether I can restrict access to individuals. Are there any other similar web apps which might fit my needs. Of course, I'm looking for something free, since we're really skint on cash (and our exchange rate sucks).

Last edited by ngoonee (2010-01-18 01:02:35)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-01-18 02:48:21

jumzi

Re: Suggest web-based record-keeping system with password-based security?

php, mysql, perhaps apache, a server, loads of good ol' brittish tea?
Sounds good to me big_smile

But it sounds like you should spend sometime with google if you are one of those that think your time actually are better spent doing something else (You ignorant fool!)

#3 2010-01-18 02:54:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Suggest web-based record-keeping system with password-based security?

... I'm not asking for a handout here, I don't even know what search terms would be used. What are such web-apps called anyway?

And no, setting up my own database is quite out of the question, not least because I will be eventually leaving this community and whatever I set up needs to be useable by non-techie people in future.

So, suggestions in keeping with what I've asked? I'm aware this is pretty much a linux nerds forum, but not all of us have the ability to whip up a database CMS on demand. Thanks.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer