You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-19 01:43:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

[solved] connectivity issues with new connection....

Hey all, I recently moved and had to get a new internet connection.  Because cable is so expensive in the city (~$57/mon for 1.5MB Cable) I went with DSL (~$36/mon for 3.0MB DSL).

I have the standard SBC DSL modem, connected to my wireless router.  I'm 90% sure the wireless connection is stable.  The phone lines may be crappy in this building, but I've switched to different sockets here and there.  I'm not sure exactly what it is, but my connection intermittently hangs - no, wlan0 stays connected so it's not that.

What I'm looking for is a way to diagnose this... some logging tool that would be able to tell me where my hang is... I'm not a network guru, so I really wouldn't know what to do...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

#2 2005-02-19 02:33:37

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: [solved] connectivity issues with new connection....

i would recommend connecting directly to the modem with a cable, and running diagnostics that way. It could be that someone is using a microwave or a cordless phone and messing up your wireless..best just to remove it from the equation during testing first.

Then I would try tranferring a large file from a known location using tcp (ie http). Something big enought to take a while. Like maybe an iso or something..

then when it is done, do a netstat -ts and see what it says..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-02-19 03:15:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmm well, according to wireless statistics I had some obscene number of packets lost... my girlfriend was having no problems... I rebooted into windows and it's issue free.... screwy ndiswrapper.... sigh.... so I upgrade router firmware just in case it changes transmission slightly... and I'll upgrade to ndiswrapper 1.1rc1.. or whatever...
I hate broadcom

#4 2005-02-19 03:43:46

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

at least  you know what it is more or less. Just be glad the gremlins of mystery arene't licking your toes..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-02-19 06:08:21

skoal
Website

Hey phrak, I don't know how familiar you are with wireless networking and such, but when I was connecting to my wireless router, I had to manually set some things in the "/proc" interface to get it working as robust as the Windows driver.

It's been a while since I used that Cisco wireless card I had, but I remember having to "cat /proc/net/wireless(?)" (somewhere in there) to get a bunch of good information not given by just "iwconfig".  The way I troubleshooted was displaying the "/proc" stuff in one term, play with "iwconfig" settings in another term, "committ" changes, then check the strength, node, and other info from the "/proc" interface as it updated.

I ran the Windows driver also, copied over all the info, and used it to manually set some stuff in the "/proc" interface directly, which "iwconfig" didn't recognize with it's "extensions".  I got pretty good results (on par with Windows driver) when I did that.

* I never used ndiswrapper and am not familiar with it.  I solely used "iwconfig".  You probably already know most of that anyway, but for me, the "/proc" interface was my friend...

One thing I vividly remember from the "/proc" interface, was seeing in "real" time how my signal strength was varying as I adjusted it in the other term.

#6 2005-02-19 06:43:35

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

cisco wireless drivers had some manually settable things in /proc. To my knowledge, that was a cisco specific thing. i had one too, but I can't remember much about it..

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#7 2005-02-21 04:24:38

skoal
Website

Phrakture, were you able to read my lengthy post today?  I'm pretty sure I knew what was causing your problem.  Today's posts got deleted.  If you're still having problems, I can post that stuff back.

#8 2005-02-21 06:14:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah, I read it and I read cactus's post about switching the modem to bridge mode.... I switched to bridge mode and did what you suggested (letting the modem register the mac of the router)... right now it seems to be working fine...

however, I have just been using bbs.archlinux.org - my issue was manifesting as almost a DNS lookup error, but once it had successfully looked something up, and (I'm assuming) cached it, it worked fine... so the forums work great... I'll try closing the browser and retrying just to see if it's still working fine - I figure I'll track it down tomorrow, as it's getting late now...

#9 2005-02-22 16:22:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

nope, issue is still there... and it actually kinda shows up when directly connected to the modem as well... I'm pretty sure it's a DNS issue... it takes forever to resolve a name, but once it's resolved (and cached) things work fine... pings return 20-50ms...
* pinging "google.com" hangs for about 5-10 seconds then starts returning pings in the order of 50ms
* pinging "216.239.57.99" hangs for 1-2 seconds then returns similar pings
* firefox hangs at "Looking up google.com..." but once it caches the IP, pages return lightning quick
* standard bandwidth testing sites report me as having a great connection with download speeds between 2500 and 3000 kbps...

anyone else using the chicago SBC servers for dns...or anyone near here want to attempt using them, just to see if it's me or them?

Primary DNS 206.141.192.60
Secondary DNS 206.141.196.13

I'll call SBC if all else fails (I hate talking to those people....)

I've tried everything skoal and cactus suggested (even the deleted posts... I kept them up while I was disconnected from the internet, so I know I tried it all....)

#10 2005-02-22 18:55:15

skoal
Website

phrakture wrote:

[...]I'll call SBC if all else fails (I hate talking to those people....)

I grew a beard talking to those guys one day.  After so many runarounds with 'em, I finally got to speak to some Regional Manager out there in California, and he gave me a free year's contract.

I'll check back later if I can think of something else.  I'm sure it's something simple, like a router configuration option or something.  I would think it's your gateway settings giving you these problems.  You could try:

route -n

to see how you're getting outside your subdomain, and maybe add another one.

#11 2005-02-22 20:52:28

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yeah, my gut tells me its a DNS issue... I'm gonna go home and beat the crap out of nslookup/dig/tracepath until they bleed and my problem is fixed...

if their DNS servers are just crappy... I'll run bind on my fileserver...

OT: Think it would hurt anything to remove the fan connector from the processor on an 866P3 - the heatsink is pretty large, but the fan is irritating sounding and I don't feel like paying $20 for a good fan for a shitty machine

#12 2005-02-22 20:57:59

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

probably not a good idea.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#13 2005-02-23 02:03:31

skoal
Website

phrakture wrote:

OT: Think it would hurt anything to remove the fan connector from the processor on an 866P3 - the heatsink is pretty large, but the fan is irritating sounding and I don't feel like paying $20 for a good fan for a shitty machine

You can drop it's noise quite a bit by using an adjustable rheostat and using the 5/12 connections to power it.  That's an old OC'er trick.  With your older P3 rig, I doubt the mobo has a fan speed detector, limiting you from posting.  If it does, it won't work since it needs a ground at 0V.  Basically, you'll be running your fan at a slower speed.

Check the OC forums.  I'm sure they dot links to do it.

Oh, by the way Phrakture, I remember my old P3 800.  I had it with just a heatsink for a while, but it ran too hot for my tastes.  I got away with a bare naked PII-400 all the time, but I've been too afraid since then.

[edit]By the way, here's some info for a 7V fan. Just do a google on "7V" fan and you'll get the results I was talking about earlier.  Basically,

" You use the yellow 12v wire as the power connector to the fan and use the red 5v connector as the fan ground.  The fan sees the potential difference between the 12v and the 5v so is run at 7 volts.  Fans can be run at 5v but some will fail to start and air flow is low."[/edit]

#14 2005-02-24 22:09:14

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

oh dear god... I was looking around in the documentation for the speedstream and crap like that... I don't seem to recall ever switching the username/password on it from the master "sbcyahoo@whatever" account...

However, I have my info in my router, which is using pppoe in bridge mode through the modem... so I don't even know if the modem is logging on....

#15 2005-02-25 03:18:58

skoal
Website

phrakture wrote:

oh dear god... I was looking around in the documentation for the speedstream and crap like that... I don't seem to recall ever switching the username/password on it from the master "sbcyahoo@whatever" account...

muahahah...
muahahaha....

Hey, by the way, keep an eye on your IDE activity light while you're connected.  SBC is pretty good, but when I was on an old comcast cable intranet, they were probing something on my system at 30 sec intervals.  suckers...

#16 2005-02-25 04:29:18

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

bah, ok - the bridge mode didnt work, and "pppoe on the computer" mode (where I was going to setup the router to handle it) didn't work either... it's almost like SBC won't authenticate properly unless it's throught the speedstream..

so I set it up as follows:
* Speedstream runs "pppoe on the modem" mode, giving an address of 192.18.0.1 on it's LAN port (can't change this - I tried)

* Router is setup as "I don't need a password to connect" and has a LAN ip of 192.168.1.1

this way, I can browse to both through firefox for configuration, and the speedstream handles it's own shit... nothing else seems to work

god this took forever to figure out... changing the topic now...fookin SBC

Board footer