You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-26 18:49:31

Gullible Jones

dhcpcd, dhclient fail on Eee 1005HAB netbook

Now that I can at least get Linux to recognize my ethernet card (thank you so very much noload=foo), I'm having awful troubles getting it to actually connect to the internet.

dhcpcd and dhclient do not work. At all. They just time out, and dmesg produces a message about the kernel being unable to alocate an MSI interrupt (error -22). The logical answer to this is to boot with pci=nomsi; however, that produces random hard freezes - I don't mean kernel panics, I mean the whole thing freezing without even realizing it's frozen. No flashing capslock lights or anything, but alt+sysrq doesn't work at all. Some sort of endless loop, I guess. As for disabling it for the atl1c module only, the modules completely fails to recognize the options "msi=0" and "msix=0", so that won't work either.

As a bit of guesswork, I tried "noapic" and "nolapic" along with "pci=nomsi" to see if they'd prevent the crashes. Instead, they caused the ethernet controller to disappear from the device list. Adding "irqpoll" as the kernel suggested during boot did not help with this miraculous disappearance.

Meanwhile, udhcpd (in Slitaz) and NetworkManager work absolutely fine...

Help?

#2 2010-01-27 13:09:08

Gullible Jones

Re: dhcpcd, dhclient fail on Eee 1005HAB netbook

Ah, got it: it's the kernel version, stupid. Right on the Debian wiki. At least 2.6.31 is needed in order for this stupid ethernet card to work.

Board footer