You are not logged in.

#26 2005-02-26 00:44:24

nehsa

Re: Getting postfix to work

Cool.  As far as I can tell that everything is loading in the correctly order.  I've been researching the problem online and it seems that it might have something to do with how i have mail delievered.  One website suggested putting an empy file called .courier-default in my home directory, but that didn't help. 

I am SO close.  Mail is no longer being bounced back to sender, it's now just dissapearing.  I believe it is just sitting in the file courierimapuiddb but I can't figure out how to directly it from there into the MailDir/ directory that Sqiurrelmail is looking at.

Thanks for all your help.  This is definantly giving me something to mess around with in my otherwise extremely boring job.

#27 2005-02-26 01:24:21

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

i bet it has to do with the following. Note this is exerpted form my authmysqlrc:

MYSQL_UID_FIELD         '5003'
MYSQL_GID_FIELD         '5003'
MYSQL_HOME_FIELD        '/home/vmail'

Courier by default looks for mail in a location other than that specified in my wiki doc. My wiki doc is tailored for a specific setup, postfix and courier both dealing with mail stored in a custom location.

There are plenty of how-tos on the net dealing with a more "standard", or simple, setup and configuration. The problem with them is that you have to have a local account on the box for each user to recieve mail (not barring alaises of course). It seems that you are running into the problem of trying to mix and match parts of my setup with a more generic one.

I am sure that there should be a way to configure courier-imap to use an alternate mail lookup location, without having to resort to using mysql, but at that point, I am not sure how it would garner the user accounts/permissions. You might have to specify it in a filesomewhere, hash format or something...I really don't know.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#28 2005-02-26 18:50:04

nehsa

Hey.. I'm going to start over.  I think you're right, I have been mixing things from several different how-tos and am not sure at all how things are setup anymore. 

I'm going to try and just use your how-to this time.  Only thing, I want to be able to view and send email through a non-local client.  So I want authenication for both incoming and outgoing email for relaying users.  Is that hard to setup with your setup?

#29 2005-02-26 21:10:53

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

shouldn't be too hard to add once you have everything working properly. It would just be a matter of opening up imap (maybe ssl'ed imap) to external, and then having to fiddle with smtpd auth on postfix.
Once you get everything working more or less as the howto goes, post again what you are trying to achieve (ie, smpt auth, external imap, etc)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#30 2005-03-03 19:18:40

nehsa

Hi, I'm back.  smile  I left this alone for a few days thinking that maybe I'd figure out whats stopping me. 

Here is where I am now:
  Fresh installed
  Followed HOW-TO directly

The problem now is with the testing postfix part:
  Telnetting in works fine
  helo niftyass.com works (responds back)

The problem is when I type the mail from.. the telnet session freezes.. it no longer recognizing commands, have to CTRL-] just to get out.  If I don't type that command then it works fine.  I assume the problem must be something with it verifying address?  mysql?

Any help would be great!

#31 2005-03-03 19:41:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

dunno.
Try running postfix with debugging on and see what it shows for an error message when it freezes up like that.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#32 2005-03-03 21:04:30

nehsa

Sorry for the probably easy question but, how do you turn the debug on?  I see:

debug_peer_level = 2

# The debug_peer_list parameter specifies an optional list of domain
# or network patterns, /file/name patterns or type:name tables. When
# an SMTP client or server host name or address matches a pattern,
# increase the verbose logging level by the amount specified in the
# debug_peer_level parameter.
#
debug_peer_list = 127.0.0.1

I took the # out for debug_peer_list, is that it?  Seems like there should be another option but I can't find it.

Here is an output of my mail.log file:
  http://www.niftyass.com/mail.txt

#33 2005-03-03 21:17:43

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Feb 28 21:02:07 serverass1300 postfix/trivial-rewrite[4691]: warning: connect to mysql server localhost: Access denied for user 'postfixuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Feb 28 21:02:07 serverass1300 postfix/trivial-rewrite[4691]: fatal: mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_forwards.cf(0,100): table lookup problem

Looks like the user defined in your postfix mysql file could not connect to the database.
maybe a typo?

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#34 2005-03-03 21:17:50

nehsa

OK.. so, I'm dumb.  I probably shouldn't post messages anymore.

Problem:  when setting up the

mysql_virtual_forwards.cf
mysql_virtual_mailboxes.cf
mysql_virtual_domains.cf

files, it had a field that says:  XXXXXXXXXX for password.. I typed that in just like that.  XXXXXXXXXX... so I just redid them with the actually password.. it works now.

#35 2005-03-03 21:20:59

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

roll
We all have our days.  wink

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#36 2005-03-03 23:06:27

nehsa

I spent extra long trying to figure it out myself before posting.  I think I'm super close to getting everything working, now whats stopping me is that I can't log into squirrelmail.  I assume it's something to do with authenicating with the mysql db.  The problem is, I don't know which file(s) that give the username and password for the db.  Can you point me in the right direction?

#37 2005-03-03 23:33:24

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

squirrelmail uses imap authentication for users.
test to make sure your courier-imap is working..you can do it via telnet the same way you did with postfix..

I added a section to the wiki on how to test courier once you have it started...
Step 10: Test courier

telnet localhost imap
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ... ] Courier-IMAP ready.

A LOGIN "cactus@virtualdomain.tld" "password"
A OK LOGIN Ok.

B SELECT "Inbox"
* FLAGS (Draft Answered ... Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (Draft Answered ... Seen)] Limited
* 8 EXISTS
* 5 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1026858715] Ok
B OK [READ-WRITE] Ok

Z LOGOUT
* BYE Courier-IMAP server shutting down
Z OK LOGOUT completed
Connection closed by foreign host.

Make sure you substitute correct values for cactus@virtualdomain.tld and for password.
and watch the logfile for courier for errors..

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#38 2005-03-03 23:44:03

nehsa

Hey, thanks for the reply.  I can't login.  The only log file I know of is mail.log, I believe this is the problem:

Feb 28 23:32:55 serverass1300 postfix/master[3393]: daemon started -- version 2.1.5
Feb 28 23:32:56 serverass1300 authdaemond.mysql: modules="authmysql", daemons=5
Feb 28 23:33:37 serverass1300 imapd: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Feb 28 23:34:12 serverass1300 authdaemond.mysql: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost, userid=postfixuser)
Feb 28 23:34:17 serverass1300 imapd: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Feb 28 23:34:41 serverass1300 imapd: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Feb 28 23:34:56 serverass1300 authdaemond.mysql: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost, userid=postfixuser)
Feb 28 23:35:01 serverass1300 imapd: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Feb 28 23:35:04 serverass1300 imapd: DISCONNECTED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], time=8

I've went over everything but can't find any problems.

#39 2005-03-03 23:50:31

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

could be a couple of things. Most of them are set in /etc/courier-imap/authdaemonrc and /etc/courier-imap/authmysqlrc

if you have

authmodulelist="authmysql"

In /etc/courier-imap/authdaemonrc, then that should be fine.

As for /etc/courier-imap/authmysqlrc some important things to look for:

MYSQL_SERVER              localhost
MYSQL_USERNAME          postfixuser
MYSQL_PASSWORD          password
MYSQL_SOCKET            /tmp/mysql.sock
MYSQL_DATABASE postfix

if you are having trouble with the file, then pm a copy of it to me..just make sure you change your db password in the version you send to me..there are just some things I don't want to know..  wink

EDIT: Oh, for more verbose courier logging, edit /etc/courier-imap/imapd

DEBUG_LOGIN=1

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#40 2005-03-04 16:10:37

nehsa

Hey, sounds good.  I'll PM you those files later today.  All the settings you mentioned look good.  The odd thing is that postfix seems to be able to access the database fine.

#41 2005-03-04 18:22:02

nehsa

Hey.. I thought I found the problem.  Had it set to crypt_password instead of clear_password.  Unfortunantly it's still not working.  I verified that I can still send mail out so at least I can be sure that postfixuser does have access to the mysql db.

#42 2005-03-04 20:05:50

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

some issues maybe:

You have:

MYSQL_SOCKET        /var/mysql.sock

Make sure this is actually where your mysql socket is. Mine was at /tmp/mysql.sock

MYSQL_HOME_FIELD    "/home/vmailer"

Use single quotes instead of double quotes. Something to do with how courier parses values...

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#43 2005-03-04 21:17:18

nehsa

Hey.. got it to work.  Now I can login with telnet lcoalhost imap.  Can't with squirrelmail but I haven't really set that up yet.  Thanks for all your help.  I think I'm pretty much done now.

#44 2005-03-04 21:57:57

nehsa

I believe I got everything working that is supposed to w/ your how-to.  One thing I'd like to be able to do though is receive mail from outside my lan.  I can send mail out but when someone sends mail in it just dissapears.  courier-imap handles incoming mail right?

#45 2005-03-04 22:31:45

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

no. postfix does. You should recieve mail just fine..Likely it is a firewall issue. Make sure your lan is allowing port 25 in.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#46 2005-03-06 21:25:58

nehsa

Hey, thats all it was, had 143 forwards but not 25.  Thought that postfix sent mail and imap received.  So, what does imap do then?  smile

#47 2005-03-06 21:38:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

allows people to get their mail. it stores it on the server. pop just lets a user snag it, then it is no longer on the server. imap lets a user view it, but it remains on the server.

hence, imap is good for squirrelmail..

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer