You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-25 06:10:00

encelo
Website

Arch Blender Logo

I made this logo some days before I actually downloaded and installed Arch and I immediately sent it to Judd, but I got no reply. sad
What do you think of it?

arch_toon_thumb.jpg
Internal Blender Renderer (2.36), 1024x768, 16x OSA, some Ambient Occlusion.
All the materials are rendered through toon shaders, the text is shadeless.

Blog | Twitter | nCine 2D game engine
All problems in computer graphics can be solved with a matrix inversion. - James Blinn.

#2 2005-02-25 06:32:33

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Arch Blender Logo

Your logo looks nice. Arch aleady has one discussed and decided quite long time ago. For personal usage for the users, this forum is the right place to present it.

If you have other ideas, browse the forums. Anything new and useful you develop, feel free to post.

Markku

#3 2005-02-25 07:31:48

iBertus

That's a damn fine logo! I think it'll look nice on my new Arch bootsplash when I get around to making it.

Good work.

#4 2005-02-25 14:16:55

encelo
Website

Thank you guys, I'm really happy to hear good comments about my logo.
If other ideas come I will be glad to post them here. smile

All problems in computer graphics can be solved with a matrix inversion. - James Blinn.

#5 2005-02-25 15:29:19

arooaroo
Website

It would look a lot better if you didn't save it as a jpeg. Jpegs ain't good for these types of images. Use PNG!

#6 2005-02-25 20:51:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

arooaroo wrote:

It would look a lot better if you didn't save it as a jpeg. Jpegs ain't good for these types of images. Use PNG!

jpegs are fine. You just have to set the "quality" properly. Problems only arise if you want to edit the image and resave (lossy). png files are nice, though they can be a bit larger than similar jpg files.
*shrug*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2005-02-26 01:22:35

encelo
Website

I always render to png, but on my site, to keep a decent size, I compress to 90% jpg.

#8 2005-02-26 02:21:37

iphitus
Forum Fellow

you could make that soo easily in svg via inkscape...

#9 2005-02-26 02:56:37

encelo
Website

It was actually made to do some tests with toon shading on Blender, and to discover its possibility about logo designing. wink

Anyway, I don't think that with inkscape you can remove orthographic projection, go back to perspective and make a little animation, or render the same scene from another angle. smile

I'm actually more into 3d, this was just the first test for 2d graphic.

#10 2005-02-26 09:51:14

arooaroo
Website

cactus wrote:

jpegs are fine. You just have to set the "quality" properly. Problems only arise if you want to edit the image and resave (lossy). png files are nice, though they can be a bit larger than similar jpg files.
*shrug*

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Jpeg struggle with high contrast areas, even when quality setting are high.  I can see typical jpeg artifacts all over that logo.

However, PNGs can compress very well with simple graphics like this. Sure with complex images, such as photos, the size rarely beats jpegs, but here, you only need a few colours and so PNGs will beat jpeg on quality and size in this instance.

Go on encelo, post the png so we can compare smile

#11 2005-02-26 11:18:40

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

sure, on images containing starkly contrasting gradations (like text) png's can really shine. That has traditionally been the domain of the gif format, and png is indeed a replacement for gif (even better support for transparency and alpha too).

Jpeg format really shines in photographic arenas. Where huge sizes are common, and gradual gradations are more prevalent. In such arena's, master formats like tiff (ack) and others are used, and jpeg is a very suitable lossy output.

*shrug*
But it really doesn't matter I suppose. Just as long as people stop using gif..although if I recall that unisys patent might have expired already..*scratches chin*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#12 2005-02-26 12:47:15

iphitus
Forum Fellow

encelo wrote:

It was actually made to do some tests with toon shading on Blender, and to discover its possibility about logo designing. wink

Anyway, I don't think that with inkscape you can remove orthographic projection, go back to perspective and make a little animation, or render the same scene from another angle. smile

I'm actually more into 3d, this was just the first test for 2d graphic.

Erm, i didnt say that, i just said you could reproduce that graphic so much more easily in inkscape....

iphitus

#13 2005-02-26 13:39:31

arooaroo
Website

cactus wrote:

But it really doesn't matter I suppose. Just as long as people stop using gif..although if I recall that unisys patent might have expired already..*scratches chin*

Here, here! Perhaps we ought to tell someone that the AL logo in the corner is a gif  wink  Gifs didn't do it for me due to its limited palette support (8bit) whereas PNGs will do nicely at 24bit, thank you very much.

I reckon PNGs would be even more common on the web if MS pulled its finger out and implemented full PNG support (i.e., transparancy) in IE.

#14 2005-02-27 03:44:26

encelo
Website

arooaroo wrote:

Go on encelo, post the png so we can compare smile

Here you are. wink

http://autistici.org/encelo/forum/arch_toon.png (215K)

#15 2005-02-27 13:59:52

arooaroo
Website

Now that's not fair - you've changed the source so you get a slightly different image. I notice that the font for the text is different; the grey arch is more translucent, and the colour of the grey shades are less pronounced.

However, the curves generally look really jagged. Is that from the rendering?

#16 2005-02-27 19:10:17

encelo
Website

arooaroo wrote:

Now that's not fair - you've changed the source so you get a slightly different image. I notice that the font for the text is different; the grey arch is more translucent, and the colour of the grey shades are less pronounced.

However, the curves generally look really jagged. Is that from the rendering?

Yes, you're right, it's different. Yesterday I did a rendering without checking too much the resulting image, and I didn't notice that many things were different.
The file from which I loaded the scene hasn't all the optimizations for a final wok, and the fonts were not loaded too.

I've uploaded the image again, I think it's the same now..

#17 2005-02-27 21:26:33

arooaroo
Website

Ah, the updated version looks better smile

Still, unfortunately, I can't help feeling that your efforts are largely wasted since AL already has a logo. sad

Still, at least you got some experience with Blender, eh?!

#18 2005-02-28 01:28:28

encelo
Website

I know that Arch has already a great SVG official logo.
My intention was never to substitute that awesome work with mine, but just to have this little piece of work added to the logo&wallpapers gallery, in the user contributed section.
If only Judd would answer my mail... big_smile

#19 2005-02-28 23:10:38

dadexter
Website

really nice logo... would make a great wallpaper... well... not as great as my Lexa Doig wallpaper, but still

#20 2005-03-01 00:53:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

Well, I've just dropped it in as my xfce4 backdrop - thanks encelo.

cactus wrote:

..although if I recall that unisys patent might have expired already..*scratches chin*

Nearly two years ago now, Cactus.

#21 2005-03-01 01:05:56

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

tomk wrote:

Nearly two years ago now, Cactus.

ack. I feel old now.
sad

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#22 2005-03-01 22:29:28

encelo
Website

tomk wrote:

Well, I've just dropped it in as my xfce4 backdrop - thanks encelo.

Wow, I'm really glad to hear this.
Could you send me your desktop screenshot? big_smile

Tell me if you need it in another resolution or colour combination. wink

#23 2005-03-04 13:54:20

tomk
Forum Fellow

encelo - I'm not forgetting the screenshot - just a bit busy at the mo.

Thanks for asking about res and colours - the res is the most my machine can handle, but could you do a darker background? The logo itself is fine.

#24 2005-04-11 22:26:27

encelo
Website

#25 2006-09-13 15:48:09

Gweg

http://www.sakeco.net/arch_linux_bluefr.svg

Enjoy the french logo of Arch !

arch_linux_bluefr.png

Voodoo voodoo, VOOODOOOO ?

Board footer