You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-03 04:14:30

edolfo

All networking interfaces no longer working

Hello,

I'm not sure exactly what caused this, but I suspect it's probably because I pulled the power from my laptop before it finished shutting down.  The second possibility (with less probability) is the recent update.

I have both wired and wireless interfaces that were working before I started up my laptop again - now the networking daemon refuses to start up.  The networking module fails to load on startup. 

My initial thought was to call 'ifconfig eth0 up'; I was given:

eth0: unknown interface: No such device

Then out of curiosity, I called 'ifconfig -a', only to get the local loopback device.

When calling '/etc/rc.d/network start', I get:

:: Starting Network                                           [BUSY]
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
                                                              [FAIL]

'lspci | grep -i ethernet' yields:

06:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

I checked my rc.conf file, and nothing seemed out of place.  Relevant sections below:

HOSTNAME="arch-dev"

(...)

eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
INTERFACES=(eth0)

(...)

gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

(...)

DAEMONS=(network syslog-ng dbus hal netfs crond alsa kdm mpd)

Where sections marked as '(...)' are comments.

I might also mention that Xserver seems to be having issues - xinit says it can't connect to the X server under the proper user.

I've tried a bit of searching both here and on Google, but have finally given up and decided to post.

Last edited by edolfo (2010-02-03 04:15:20)

#2 2010-02-03 08:53:26

hw-tph

Re: All networking interfaces no longer working

Is the r8169 module present and loaded? Try modinfo r8169 to see if you get the module info. If that succeeds you should be able to load it using modprobe r8169. After the modprobe, type dmesg to see if any errors were reported.

If you can load the module manually you can add it to the MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf. But if you have MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" in rc.conf it should be loaded automatically...

Board footer