You are not logged in.

#101 2010-01-23 10:49:12

sweetthdevil

Re: Howto: Standalone Compiz Fusion as WM

Right I am now using tint2 which is compatible with dual monitor, however for a strange reason the window are covering tint2 on the first monitor and not on the second one.

Is that a bug, or is there a know workout?

Also, how to add the use of a certain gtk2 theme as it's the regular and very ugly?

Thanks,:D

Last edited by sweetthdevil (2010-01-23 11:26:05)

#102 2010-01-23 14:16:05

pogeymanz

The easy way: install LXAppearance
The hard way: Edit the .gtkrc file.

#103 2010-01-23 15:13:15

sHyLoCk

I use both lxappearance and gtk-chtheme

Lxappearance - Change themes + icons
Gtk-chtheme - Get a better preview as the window changes before applying the theme and also easy system font setting!

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2010-01-23 15:13:41)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#104 2010-01-24 13:42:20

sweetthdevil

Great cheers lxappearance is doing a great job.

Another question, I am trying to add specific icon to my compiz-deskmenu but I can't seems to work out where it look for the menu,
some seems to be located at /usr/share/applications but adding my desired icons there doesn't work. I also tried /usr/share/pixmaps without success again.

Also. is there anyway to be able to use the middle clic of the mouse to start compiz-deskmenu but only on the wallpaper, as I am using it a lot to surf on Firefox (to open a link on a new tab. tongue

Thanks,

Last edited by sweetthdevil (2010-01-24 13:49:23)

#105 2010-01-30 02:40:59

sweetthdevil

Right so I got the answer about the middle click just on the desktop on the actual compiz forum.

However, I am still looking to find where the icons are stored,

and I am now looking for a script or command line to switch user; so my session will not be close while using another one.

Many thanks,

#106 2010-02-05 16:44:42

JuseBox

sweetthdevil wrote:

Right so I got the answer about the middle click just on the desktop on the actual compiz forum.

and I am now looking for a script or command line to switch user; so my session will not be close while using another one.

Many thanks,

What was the answer? could you post here?

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#107 2010-02-05 20:19:20

Meyithi
Website

JuseBox wrote:
sweetthdevil wrote:

Many thanks,

What was the answer? could you post here?

Set up the command via the commands plugin:

http://www.meyithi.com/graphics/ex1.png

Then use the Viewport Switcher plugin to call it:

http://www.meyithi.com/graphics/ex2.png

This way only right clicks on the desktop will bring up a menu.

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#108 2010-02-06 02:37:13

sweetthdevil

Many thanks, it does work like a charm!

I am however still looking to create a .sh or a command to swith user without closing the session oO

and also where is Deskmenu looking for the icon on the menu, to make it pretty lol

Cheers

#109 2010-02-06 20:30:51

henkidefix

Hello i can't get my system to shutdown, hope someone has a suggestion:

No gdm, SLIM or anything. Just login from a console. When i need a GUI type ck-launch-session startxfce4.  With Compiz working fine since 1 year.  Want to try compiz as stand alone WM and for more eyecandy use cairo-dock. So i created this .xinitrc:
  #!/bin/sh
  compiz ccp &
  sleep 2
  exec cairo-dock -o
and start this with ck-launch-session xinit. Cairo-dock has a logout/shutdown applet but no matter what i try, never get logout or shutdown.  The suggestion from picklesonfire did not work: it reports >init unexpected signal 15.

Last edited by henkidefix (2010-02-07 10:42:55)

#110 2010-02-06 21:49:23

guzz46

and also where is Deskmenu looking for the icon on the menu, to make it pretty lol

If I enter the name of an icon and it doesn't appear in deskmenu copying that icon to /usr/share/pixmaps works for me

Hello i'm can't get my stystem to shutdown, hope someone has a suggestion:

I just create a shutdown entry in deskmenu with the command sudo halt, then add /sbin/halt to sudoers

#111 2010-02-06 22:22:23

pogeymanz

henkidefix wrote:

Hello i'm can't get my stystem to shutdown, hope someone has a suggestion:

No gdm, SLIM or anything. Just login from a console. When i need a GUI type ck-launch-session startxfce4.  With Compiz working fine since 1 year.  Want to try compiz as stand alone WM and
for more eyecandy use cairo-dock. So i created .xinitrc:
  #!/bin/sh
  compiz ccp &
  sleep 2
  exec cairo-dock -o
In Cairo-dock is a logout/shutdown applet but no matter what i try, never get logout or shutdown.
Even the suggestion from picklesonfire did not work.

Change the last line to

exec ck-launch-session cairo-dock -o

#112 2010-02-07 20:42:54

henkidefix

Finally got my compiz working as standalone WM with Cairo-dock !
Was inspired by PiklesOnFire post on 8 jan 2010
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=51282&p=4
On my system created an error: unexpected signal 15.
Took me some time until i realised the script itself made that because
it also tries to kill the very xinit that launched the whole dekstop.
Hence it became more complex:
    Beware: i'm a bash-beginner, not shure if this script is safe in all situations

#!/bin/bash
procall=`pgrep -u $(whoami) -t tty1`        #get all users proceses
procbas=`pgrep -u $(whoami) -t tty1 bash`    #get the login bash pid
procxin=`pgrep -u $(whoami) -t tty1 xinit`    #get the xinit pid

# nicely terminate all users processes except bash & xinit
for p in $procall; do
    if [ "$p" != "$procbas" ] && [ "$p" != "$procxin" ]; then
        kill -TERM $p
    fi
done
sleep 2

# now KILL the processes that are still alive
for p in $procall; do
    if [ "$p" != "$procbas" ] && [ "$p" != "$procxin" ]; then
        kill -KILL $p
    fi
done
sync

# and finally . . . . we shutdown via hal/dbus
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.Hal" /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Shutdown

#113 2010-02-07 21:52:15

Meyithi
Website

Is there a taskbar that works well with Compiz-Viewports yet?  It's the only piece if the puzzle that I'm missing now.

#114 2010-02-07 22:49:10

sand_man

Meyithi wrote:

Is there a taskbar that works well with Compiz-Viewports yet?  It's the only piece if the puzzle that I'm missing now.

Not sure what kind of problems you have but I'm using gnome-panel with no problems. I know gnome-panel is kind of bloat but it does allow the use of window previews.

neutral

#115 2010-02-07 22:56:49

Meyithi
Website

sand_man wrote:
Meyithi wrote:

Not sure what kind of problems you have but I'm using gnome-panel with no problems. I know gnome-panel is kind of bloat but it does allow the use of window previews.

Don't mind the bloat it's the appearance I don't like, ah well, am managing without a taskbar so far.

#116 2010-02-08 05:05:02

pogeymanz

XFCE4-panel works with viewports and is fairly light on dependencies.

#117 2010-02-08 13:59:30

sweetthdevil

Great cheers for all!

The only last bit I need is a script to be able to change user without stopping my session, basically leaving my session running but going back to the GDM screen and then login in a different session!

Any help?

#118 2010-02-08 23:03:40

my0pic

sweetthdevil wrote:

Great cheers for all!

The only last bit I need is a script to be able to change user without stopping my session, basically leaving my session running but going back to the GDM screen and then login in a different session!

Any help?

You just need to create a menu entry in compiz-deskmenu for a new login. The command to use is "gdmflexiserver". Icon name is "gnome-session-switch".
For a new login in  a window without leaving your session use "gdmflexiserver --Xnest".

#119 2010-02-14 00:04:09

fixje

Hi,

Because I was bored this weekend, I just switched from fluxbox to a compiz standalone setup with lxpanel and really like it!
I'm having one problem:
I see all applications of every virtual desktop in my taskbar, but if I am on Desktop 1 and click on an application which is on another desktop, the desktop is not changed automatically, so that I could see the program. This is really annoying, because I first have to switch to the right desktop and then chose the application I want to interact with.
Does anybody have the same problem or is there a solution for this issue?

Cheers,
fixje

#120 2010-02-14 13:41:59

Meyithi
Website

fixje wrote:

Hi,

Because I was bored this weekend, I just switched from fluxbox to a compiz standalone setup with lxpanel and really like it!
I'm having one problem:
I see all applications of every virtual desktop in my taskbar, but if I am on Desktop 1 and click on an application which is on another desktop, the desktop is not changed automatically, so that I could see the program. This is really annoying, because I first have to switch to the right desktop and then chose the application I want to interact with.

Cheers,
fixje

Have you read a few posts above this?  Only a couple of taskbars work with Compiz viewports.

#121 2010-02-14 14:14:01

pogeymanz

fixje wrote:

Hi,

I'm having one problem:

Cheers,
fixje

There will never be a solution for this problem. Compiz uses Viewports, not Workspaces. In your Compiz setup, you have only one workspace that is divided into Viewports (There are some benefits for doing this). The only panels that I know of that honor viewports are xfce4-panel and gnome-panel. Xfce4-panel has very few dependencies so that's what I use.

#122 2010-02-15 16:38:27

fixje

pogeymanz wrote:
fixje wrote:

Hi,

I'm having one problem:

Cheers,
fixje

There will never be a solution for this problem. Compiz uses Viewports, not Workspaces. In your Compiz setup, you have only one workspace that is divided into Viewports (There are some benefits for doing this). The only panels that I know of that honor viewports are xfce4-panel and gnome-panel. Xfce4-panel has very few dependencies so that's what I use.

Thank you… I didn't realize the difference between viewports and workspaces when I read the posts above. This makes it clear to me. I will try xfce4-panel

#123 2010-02-20 18:52:53

na12

fixje wrote:

Hi,

I'm having one problem:

Cheers,
fixje

Tint2 works fine,try it.I am useing tint2 panel and when I click on app in panel, viewport automatically changes.

#124 2010-03-19 13:16:33

sweetthdevil

Hi guys,

which screensaver are you using for compiz-standalone, ideally I would like one that can display randomly picture from a folder....

Cheers,

#125 2010-06-05 02:31:08

playdafunkimuzic

So I finally gave compiz standalone a try, coming from openbox. But, it's not working for me...

I'm not getting any toolbars on my windows! sad

Board footer