You are not logged in.

#101 2010-02-11 18:32:34

agapito

Re: KDE SC 4.4.0 released

I LOVE KDE4 but i admit is too buggy and slow and this is disappointing, when i work with windows 7 my desktop is solid and never crashes. But i don't want windows i want KDE4.

Knetworkmanager is beta, i know, but crash plasma taskbar a lot.
Kopete crashes when i log into a yahoo acount. No video or audio support. Poorly supported protocols. I have to use amsn and gyachi.
Konqueror 4.4 has improved stability, but sometimes my mouse goes crazy with flash videos.
Amarok is slow and consumes a lot of ram i prefer qmmp now.
Dolphin rarelly crashes, but is not fully stable.
I can't see any utility for Strigi or nepomuk
World Clock plasmoid never show correct time.
And is not KDE4 fault, but i have to say that gtk2 apps under kde desktop are ugly as fuck, even using gkt-kde4.

I DON'T WANT NEW FEATURES ON 4.5. I only want full stability.

Excuse my poor English.

#102 2010-02-11 18:36:59

waldek_a

I did several experiments (removed all themes I installed myself etc), but I have no idea what's causing it. It seems that the change of the plasma theme is killing kwin. Usually I can change it once without consequences, but when I try the second time then the kwin dies. I cannot find any rule on which themes it dies.

#103 2010-02-11 19:26:14

Borosai

I'm not having as many problems as others since my use is rather limited, but here is my list:
1. The majority of the panel isn't properly rendered and shows up as a black bar (but with icons and those gray graphics). Resizing it or changing the theme temporarily fixes it until the next login or reboot. The only way I could "fix" it was to enable compositing (which slows things down on this old laptop).
2. Dolphin doesn't remember the changes I make to its window and panels (size), and reverts back to its default (but I think it will remember if it's maximized).
3. Not really a problem, but the Lock/Logout widget now consists of two large icons instead of the more compact version that fit nicely in the panel. Why?

Of course, there are some improvements, but at this point, this is more of a step backwards for me.

#104 2010-02-11 19:48:52

mechmg93

mechmg93 wrote:

Just wait few hours and count how many people will have lots and lots of problems. And this is the sign that maybe kde 4.4 is not ready for everyday use, except someone doesn't have any problem with krunner being not functional an plasma crashing.

being one of the first in this topic, who described kde 4.4 as a buggy software. it seems that  a day after  i am not the only one.

and my problem is that using it for a while now, i have found some bugs even more annoying, for example the continuing crashes of krunner(being a huge problem for me as im so used to this program).

Having a laptop for my job with kde 4.3.4 and comparing to my kde 4.4 desktop machine, my laptop has what is called a purely functional and stable desktop environment, and my dekstop machine is just a kindergarden, waiting as soon as possible for the next 4.4.1 release that will propably solve all these bugs.

i wish that archlinux developers did want to provide this upgrade so soon and were more patient, but this is my problem, because i chose to use archlinux and archlinux devs did not choose me.

my 2 cents, hoping for a fast upstream kde upgrade.

Last edited by mechmg93 (2010-02-11 19:51:14)

Mikes on AUR

#105 2010-02-11 21:10:00

mos98

still 4.4 feels like a tech preview to .

u can watch the new features on yt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsSK20-xE_g&NR=1&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMQcZsr … ted&fmt=18

#106 2010-02-11 21:14:53

Pierre
Developer
Website

I think we are done here. If you find a bug please report it to KDE. Repeating the your problems and rants here over and over again wont help anybody.

Board footer