You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-02 02:00:56

max_sipos
Website

Problem with DHCP on campus network

Hello,

I am setting up a linux machine in the physics department. I've already installed quite a few Arch machines so installation went pretty well. However, I had problems setting up the network.

Whenever I start the network, the dhcpcd returns error 14 (time-out when connecting to DHCP server). When I start the dhcpcd with -d flag (verbose output), the only thing it prints out is the MAC address of the network card, then it times out. lspci properly finds the card, hotplug inserts the right module (or I can do it myself), 3c59x (I can see it in lsmod). ifconfig eth0 shows no IP. I have done everything from the DHCP wiki. I'm sorry since I can't provide any outputs, since the network is not working.

I have tested the network card, brought it home (dorm, same network) and it worked properly. I have tested the network cable and moved the computer to a different network jack (which works under windows) and it still didn't work. Another linux machine that works in a lab nearby, on Red Hat 9 works properly on the network, the Professor who set it up just used 'network configuration' from a menu in gnome and set the network to dhcp.

If you're still reading - as you see, I am out of ideas smile, I have noticed a similar problem on the linuxquestions.org forum, surprisingly also Arch distro, however the problem is not solved there either:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/289017

Thank you,
Max

#2 2005-03-02 02:38:53

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Problem with DHCP on campus network

search the forum for
3c59x

I noticed other people had the same, or similar problems, with that nic...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-03-02 03:19:51

max_sipos
Website

Thank you, I'll try a solution from one person's post (disabling ACPI and DMA) however, that applied to a laptop while this is a desktop. It is curious that the network card worked without problems on my home computer. I suppose I will just exchange the two cards.

Max

#4 2005-03-02 03:31:25

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

do other distros/oses work on the card? It might just be a bad card or network cable..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-03-02 03:37:11

max_sipos
Website

I brought the card home and tried it out on my arch install here and it worked great. I've tested the network cable on a windows machine and it worked fine as well.

#6 2005-03-02 04:00:07

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

might be a mobo issue then. I would indeed try the acpi issue fix and see if it does anything..

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#7 2005-03-02 11:09:09

i3839

Hopefully not, but it could be that they only allow certain MAC's to prevent people plugging in their pc, or something like that. Try setting the MAC address manually to the MAC address of a (disconnected) comp where dhcp works.

Board footer