You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-14 17:23:22

ILoveJapaneseGirls
Banned

[SOLVED] How to setup Tor to use it without Privoxy?

Hello!!

I've read in this article http://sysphere.org/~anrxc/j/articles/tor/index.html that Privoxy is no longer needed today because Firefox no more leaks DNS (if you config it in about:config, which i already did).

So, how to setup Tor to use it without Privoxy? I've just installed tor-0.2.1.22-1 with pacman and it's out-of-the-box (no configuration files were changed). I didn't follow the wiki because it also teaches to configure Privoxy at the same time, so it was better to ask here. Tor here will be used primarily with Firefox, so, will it need any add-ons (like TorButton)?

Also, i have two computers here in a small LAN, connected via a crossover cable (no routers, hubs, switchers, etc..): this one (the "server" which is connected directly to the internet) and a laptop. How to make the laptop surf anonymously too? Does it need to install anything on it? Any add-on in Firefox? or just to "point" to Tor in the server? If so, how to configure Tor in the server to "listen" to the laptop?
Server is 192.168.0.1 and laptop is 192.168.0.2.

As you can notice, i understand very few about networks, so i hope you understand what i mean, the general idea smile

If you need additional information, please ask! thanks!

Just an additional comment: the reason i don't want to use Privoxy anymore is that with it, i could never watch flash videos (like youtube, xhamster, etc..), and it was only used to prevent DNS leaks from Firefox. Maybe i did something wrong, but if Firefox does not leak DNS anymore, there's no reason to keep using privoxy. Ad-block-plus can block all those boring adds. big_smile

Last edited by ILoveJapaneseGirls (2010-02-14 21:10:49)

#2 2010-02-14 18:13:33

anrxc
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How to setup Tor to use it without Privoxy?

Funny, I thought the article answers all those questions.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2010-02-14 18:21:42

ILoveJapaneseGirls
Banned

Yeah, maybe wink

Actually, i didn't do anything cause didn't want to mess with the configuration files.

But i'll try and see what happens. thanks!!

#4 2010-02-14 18:35:45

anrxc
Website

You can see the Arch torrc file here http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/package … 6/tor.conf You just need to change one thing in your local copy /etc/tor/torrc. Notice that it listens on 127.0.0.1 by default, you should change that to the IP of the interface connected to the rest of your network. Then all your machines can use that IP and port 9050 as the SOCKS 5 proxy. You can consult the article again, for details.

Last edited by anrxc (2010-02-14 18:38:46)

#5 2010-02-14 18:51:45

Lars Stokholm

anrxc wrote:

In that case I must be stupid or blind. smile I can't see where it tells me how to use Tor in Firefox without Privoxy...

#6 2010-02-14 19:51:24

ILoveJapaneseGirls
Banned

Actually, i want to do two simple things:

1st: configure this machine to use Tor without privoxy

and...

2nd: configure the other machine to use Tor without privoxy.

after all, if Firefox does not leak DNS anymore, there's no reason to still use privoxy. big_smile

At the moment, i'm trying to make Tor work in the 1st machine.  Unfortunately, when i go to network settings in firefox and set all proxies to 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) and all ports to 9050, i keep getting that message "Tor is not an HTTP proxy... It appears you have configured your web browser to use Tor as an HTTP proxy. This is not correct: Tor is a SOCKS proxy, not an HTTP proxy. Please configure your client accordingly."

And that means i'm doing something wrong but i still don't know what. But i have faith that soon it will work, so, for now, thanks for listening! wink

#7 2010-02-14 20:50:00

ILoveJapaneseGirls
Banned

okay first problem solved!!

by using foxyproxy addon (and its wizard) i could configure a proxy to use Tor and it's working!!

now..... the let's go to the second problem: in the file /etc/tor/torrc there are two lines:

SocksBindAddress 127.0.0.1 # accept connections only from localhost
#SocksBindAddress 192.168.0.1:9100 # listen on a chosen IP/port too

how should i change them in order to use Tor in both machines, the server and the laptop? only uncommenting the second line would be fine?

#8 2010-02-14 21:05:35

anrxc
Website

Lars Stokholm wrote:
anrxc wrote:

In that case I must be stupid or blind. smile

You must be. There's only a whole section dedicated to Using Tor.

how should i change them in order to use Tor in both machines, the server and the laptop? only uncommenting the second line would be fine?

Didn't I already answer that in my previous post? Besides isn't there an example in the Configuring Tor section?

#9 2010-02-14 21:09:43

ILoveJapaneseGirls
Banned

Okay!! Tor is perfectly working without Privoxy in both computers now! cheers!! cool

I want to give a hint for those one with the same problem: don't use torbutton! use foxyproxy insted! it's much better!! wink

Thanks for the help guys!!

#10 2010-02-14 21:16:19

anrxc
Website

Actually Torbutton does more than just setup proxy settings. That's why it comes highly recommended by the Tor project. It does various tweaks to try and protect your privacy better - plugin blocking, protecting history and cookies, add-ons blocking... http://www.torproject.org/torbutton/faq.html.en

#11 2010-02-14 21:52:02

Lars Stokholm

anrxc wrote:
Lars Stokholm wrote:
anrxc wrote:

In that case I must be stupid or blind. smile

You must be. There's only a whole section dedicated to Using Tor.

(Pretending not to be annoyed by your arrogance...) But you need an extension right - like this guy needs foxyproxy? What I meant was how can you do it with just Firefox and Tor and nothing else? If I need an extension to Firefox I might as well use Polipo or Privoxy.

#12 2010-02-14 23:51:45

anrxc
Website

But you need an extension right - like this guy needs foxyproxy?

No, you do not need an extension. Did you forget Mozilla applications have proxy configuration in their Preferences dialog?

#13 2010-02-15 00:12:48

Lars Stokholm

anrxc wrote:

But you need an extension right - like this guy needs foxyproxy?

No, you do not need an extension. Did you forget Mozilla applications have proxy configuration in their Preferences dialog?

No I didn't, but if I use that alone I get exactly what this guy did: "Tor is not an HTTP proxy... It appears you have configured your web browser to use Tor as an HTTP proxy. This is not correct: Tor is a SOCKS proxy, not an HTTP proxy. Please configure your client accordingly.". So please tell me exactly what the settings should be.

#14 2010-02-15 01:00:41

anrxc
Website

"When an application does support SOCKS (i.e. Firefox, X-Chat, Gajim...) you only need to point its proxy configuration to the IP address and port of your TOR daemon. Following the above examples that would be: IP: 192.168.0.1, Port: 9050, Type: SOCKS5 ..."

As the SOCKS proxy one enters his TOR host and port, as the version one selects v5. What is it? It's a SOCKS proxy. So one has to stop trying to use it as a HTTP proxy...

Edit: found a picture for you http://thinkhole.org/wp/wp-content/imag … ttings.gif

Last edited by anrxc (2010-02-15 01:02:53)

#15 2010-02-15 01:08:42

Lars Stokholm

Will you stop being arrogant? If you don't wish to help, don't reply. The picture is not there, but what you explain is exactly what I'm doing. But what do you put in the other fields (HTTP, SSL, FTP and Gopher)?

Edit: Oh, so you leave the other fields empty. I didn't think Firefox would accept that. Now you can find something else to do.

Last edited by Lars Stokholm (2010-02-15 01:13:59)

#16 2010-02-15 01:18:35

anrxc
Website

Since user errors are solved I'd like to address the main point - avoiding Privoxy. There was a time when we had to use Privoxy with Firefox, because it was leaking DNS requests. The article talks about ditching Privoxy only from that aspect, Firefox doesn't leak DNS requests, TOR can act as a secure DNS forwarder... that's it.

But any future reader should know that Privoxy is good software and still very useful to have with your TOR setup, it helps protect your privacy, and helps with other applications that could still be leaking various information like DNS.

Will you stop being arrogant?

Stop calling me arrogant. You were making claims that my article is incorrect, while being wrong all along.

Board footer