You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-09 06:06:11

bmentink

Bluetooth DUN howto?

Hi All,

Anyone have an "easy" GUI setup for DUN? I am trying to use my phone as a tether modem for my laptop.
(actually I am not sure if it is PAN or DUN that I need )

The easiest I have seen is to use Blueman, I installed and ran blueman, I can connect and pair fine with my phone.
However, when I go to start a DUN service it states that the dhcpd client is not available ..

I have dhcpcd installed, do I need something else for Blueman?

My phone is a Motorola Milestone (droid) so I am trying the free Pdanet application, but not sure how to use that in conjunction with
Blueman at the other end.

Bluetooth has always been a major headache with linux ..... it "should just work .."

Cheers,
Bernie

Last edited by bmentink (2010-02-09 06:08:33)

#2 2010-02-09 06:16:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Bluetooth DUN howto?

GUI...

"should just work"...

*minor rant* Linux is NOT just a free windows clone, and getting things done for you without your understanding isn't a basic requirement for an operating system. */minor rant*

Anyway, I run a dund daemon on my laptop so my phone can access my internet connection. The reverse would be PAN I believe? Google should have some help. It WILL involve a lot of CLI and config file modifications.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-02-09 06:31:30

bmentink

Sure ... I have already done all the CLI style way of getting this up and running .... and sure it works.

What doesn't work, is expecting my grandmother (who runs linux, by the way) to know how to do CLI stuff ..

That is a "short-sighted" and a dumb rant  aimed only at linux gurus...... everyone is not a linux guru ....

If Linux is going to be a desktop that my grandmother can use, then it "has to" have the GUI equivalents  to the CLI tools.
(There is nothing wrong with having both .... linux is all about choice ..)

So .... I suggest you get over the rant and give some help to the original request (if you can) which was for a "gui" bluetooth setup ..

Cheers,

#4 2010-02-09 07:44:46

zenlord
Website

There is a difference between 'setting it up' and 'using it'.

As I read your OP, you were asking for a GUI set-up. As I see it (I have been struggling with it, but haven't got the time to make it work yet), you should be able to set it up via the CLI and then provide your grandmother with some icons to connect/disconnect.

With all due respect, I don't think that your grandmother should be able to install linux or linux services before linux can be considered a viable alternative. I don't think even think that 50% of all windows-users know how to do this in windows.

That being said: When I last searched this forum, I got some results that helped me to some other results. I feel that I'm getting closer using a netcfg-profile to establish the connection.

#5 2010-02-09 10:13:32

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bmentink wrote:

Sure ... I have already done all the CLI style way of getting this up and running .... and sure it works.

What doesn't work, is expecting my grandmother (who runs linux, by the way) to know how to do CLI stuff ..

That is a "short-sighted" and a dumb rant  aimed only at linux gurus...... everyone is not a linux guru ....

If Linux is going to be a desktop that my grandmother can use, then it "has to" have the GUI equivalents  to the CLI tools.
(There is nothing wrong with having both .... linux is all about choice ..)

Linux is not going to be the desktop your grandmother can use, that's not its aim. Sure, some particular distros (Ubuntu for example) are trying to make it that way. All power to them, especially if they contribute it back upstream. Saying it 'has to' have GUI tools is a mis-guided notion, and this is coming from someone who PREFERS gui tools most of the time.

bmentink wrote:

So .... I suggest you get over the rant and give some help to the original request (if you can) which was for a "gui" bluetooth setup ..

Cheers,

I don't believe there's such a thing. The bluez folk would know more if you popped by their ML. If there's any such thing it'll be done by them.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-02-09 11:08:18

panosk

Hi,

I have no problems using my phone as a 3G modem. The combination that works is the networkmanager gnome applet with blueman, although I use KDE. There is an option in blueman that binds it to networkmanager. I can't give you details because I am not in my lap right now, but the configuration is very easy and the options self-explanatory.

#7 2010-02-09 23:39:21

bmentink

panosk wrote:

Hi,

I have no problems using my phone as a 3G modem. The combination that works is the networkmanager gnome applet with blueman, although I use KDE. There is an option in blueman that binds it to networkmanager. I can't give you details because I am not in my lap right now, but the configuration is very easy and the options self-explanatory.

Thanks Panosk,

Very helpful. I am currently using Wicd, but will try network manager again .... I think I had some issues with it before (KDE applet version)
Did you have to install dhcp server?

Edit: I have installed network manager (got it working)and I see that when I go into "Manage Connections" that the "Mobile Broadband" tab is grey'ed out.
When I go into blueman "local services" I always get the error "No DHCP servers installed". I have installed dhcp with "pacman -S dhcp", is there anything else I should be doing?
Thanks

Cheers,
Bernie

Last edited by bmentink (2010-02-10 01:45:06)

#8 2010-02-10 01:57:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bmentink wrote:
panosk wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Panosk,

Very helpful. I am currently using Wicd, but will try network manager again .... I think I had some issues with it before (KDE applet version)
Did you have to install dhcp server?

Edit: I have installed network manager (got it working)and I see that when I go into "Manage Connections" that the "Mobile Broadband" tab is grey'ed out.
When I go into blueman "local services" I always get the error "No DHCP servers installed". I have installed dhcp with "pacman -S dhcp", is there anything else I should be doing?
Thanks

Cheers,
Bernie

Your phone has to act as a DHCP server in some way, perhaps? Not sure how bluetooth networking is done.

#9 2010-02-10 03:17:25

bmentink

I am using "PDANet" software on my Android phone, I guess it does the dhcp server stuff.
However, the help on the bluetooth portion of pdanet suggests that the computer DUN software use Phone No 123 and no username/password. I cannot see how to provide these details in
Blueman ... is there a config file I have to use?

Thanks,

#10 2010-02-10 04:19:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

pacman -Ql blueman | grep etc

#11 2010-02-10 06:04:57

bmentink

ngoonee wrote:

That doesn't help at all ..

#12 2010-02-10 07:23:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bmentink wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

That doesn't help at all ..

That lists for you the config files associated with blueman. Try the same for bluez (to which blueman is the frontend).

/etc is where config files are stored, generally.

#13 2010-02-10 11:57:43

panosk

bmentink wrote:

I am using "PDANet" software on my Android phone, I guess it does the dhcp server stuff.
However, the help on the bluetooth portion of pdanet suggests that the computer DUN software use Phone No 123 and no username/password. I cannot see how to provide these details in
Blueman ... is there a config file I have to use?

Thanks,

Hi,

Try to install the dnsmaq and ppp packages. Then, in blueman's settings, enable the NetworkManager option both in the PAN Support and in the DUN Support sections. Your connection information should be entered in the new connection you will create in the Mobile Broadband tab in networkmanager, not in blueman.

#14 2010-02-12 21:37:15

bmentink

Hi panosk,

Tried that. The error about the dhcp server has gone away, so that is a start.

However, I still have a greyed out "Mobile Broadband" tab in Network Manager, so cannot connect ... how do you get it to not be grey?

#15 2010-02-16 19:25:10

bmentink

Anyone?

#16 2010-02-16 22:31:40

panosk

The recent updates to networkmanager introduced a new optional dependency for 3G connections. It is modemmanager. That should do it.

#17 2010-02-17 06:33:36

bmentink

panosk wrote:

The recent updates to networkmanager introduced a new optional dependency for 3G connections. It is modemmanager. That should do it.

Many Thanks.

Board footer