You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-04 01:18:54

dadexter
Website

Hardware comparing...

Hey guys,

I have a little "lack of information" I'm hoping to get some clarifications on:

What would the performance difference be between my current Duron 700/256MBRAM and a Dual-Celeron 433/384MB RAM?

I know a little about SMP, so I already have an idea regarding applications that don't take advantage of SMP... but I'm pretty sure the ones I use would...

#2 2005-03-04 02:21:58

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Hardware comparing...

depends highly on your uses and applications.
Celerons, especially older ones, suck..alot..

Now, if you had a dual SPARC or something like that, it would fly around the room while compiling your front door.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-03-04 02:27:27

dadexter
Website

do you know if let's say Xorg has optimizations for SMP?

#4 2005-03-04 02:34:51

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I don't know. It would seem logical that most of Xorg is dependent on your graphics card...and...SMP doesn't really do much for that..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-03-04 02:37:23

dadexter
Website

true
well... I'll probably try it over the weekend... and keep you guys posted...

Why I wanna go back is mostly because I like SMP... and my Abit BP6 has 4 IDE controllers... means 8 HD/cdroms tongue

#6 2005-03-04 03:32:28

skoal
Website

What's up spongebob?  I really enjoy your cartoons, so I must preface my reply with a nagging question first.  In the episode of "Bubble Buddy", how did that one fish on the beach die from "high tide"?  I don't understand.  I thought you lived underwater to begin with.  Your cartoon is an enigma rapped inside a puzzle to me.  It's a good thing I have a beer in hand when I watch you on television.  Taking a 'sip is like hitting the reset switch on my computer case when I start to analyze your underwater environment...

Anyway, to answer your question Mr. Spongebob, I'd go with the "dualy" rig.  There were a few motherboards, like the Abit BP6 which supported "dualy" celerons, and SMP w/o hardware modification.  I had one of those rigs and it worked quite well.  The HPPT IDE controller is nice, but I only used 4 IDE devices on it.  Either way, the BP6 was a sweet mobo which you could overclock.  Furthermore, you could always drop 2 new Celeron CPUs (from eBay @ a minimal cost ~< $15 for 2) up to what the latest BIOS would support, overclock 'em, and still outperform the Duron 700.  I think the latest BIOS would support 533s.  However, you will need to "uncheck" something in the BIOS so it will not reset your CPU speeds if you overclock past 533.  I forgot what that option was.

My stock (non-OC'd) "dualy" 400's in the BP6 was on par with the P3-600 I had before it.  So, you have a lot of potential with your rig, and most importantly, with very little financial investment on your part, you can "stretch" your dollar even further...

#7 2005-03-04 03:54:25

dadexter
Website

Think I could find a mobo to use these with SMP?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … eName=WDVW

#8 2005-03-04 03:58:54

dadexter
Website

One thing that concerns me actually is if the BP6 will support my 200GB HD

#9 2005-03-04 05:17:34

skoal
Website

dadexter wrote:

Think I could find a mobo to use these with SMP?

/edit/  haha...I just checked out that eBay link.  That's a good one... /edit/

I thought you were going to use the BP6 you alread had.  The BP6 is the creme de la creme...

Why waste money on something else?  You got yourself a "55-year old Bo Derek" already. There is a whole site dedicated to the BP6 (bp6.com I believe).  Shoot, I believe they even have their own BIOS microcode to give your HPPT IDE some Raid capability and even allow you to drop a P3 PPGA in there (with some modification).  How does a "dualy" P3-800 MHz BP6 sound to you?  I think they've done it...

I regret getting rid of my BP6 a long time ago.  If I were you, I'd turn that BP6 into a Linux Freakinstein box.

I thought you already had a BP6 with dual celerys in there.  If I were you, I'd have some "fun" with that rig.  I'd try to make it smoke...literally...by soldering iron or through their BIOS soft menu and OC'ing.  But, that's just me...

#10 2005-03-04 17:07:28

dadexter
Website

well I kinda switched back to the BP6 ahead of schedule... the chipset fan on my DFI (duron box) died... and I didn't wanna take a chance... at the same time, my VGA fan crapped out, but I replaced it with a fan from an old 486 tongue

so the plans might be on hold until I can find a new chipset fan, or if someone tells me it's not required, then I won't bother tongue

#11 2005-03-04 20:37:32

dadexter
Website

New problem... much more fun than old ones

it would seem that with my BP6, whenever I use the NVidia driver, the system freezes whenever I start X (Xorg or XFree), the system freezes... with the generic nv driver, it works (without GL obviously)

So I just had an idea... since I can't use my videocard fully for the moment, I thought maybe I could put it aside, and stick to PCI ATI mach64 cards in there and try to setup dual head... now, has anybody ever done that?

Board footer