You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-19 07:08:18

iopo

[solved] netcfg fails on boot, but works manually

Hello all,

I had a bash script to auto-connect to wifi on startup, worked perfect for a while but stopped working (on boot) after a system update about a month ago. The strange thing is that it did worked ok if I run the script manually after startup...

Today I decided to fix that, and I decided to give a try to netcfg, and two strange thing happend:

1- I did pacman -Syy and pacman -S netcfg and the version installed was 2.2.1-1 (not 2.5.x)

2- I have found that the exact same thing happens!
It doesn't work (FAIL) on startup, but it works perfect if I run "netcfg wireless-profile" manually

net-profiles was added as the last daemon, and the profile was added to NETWORKS, ej: NETWORKS=(wireless-profile). I can see the connection attempt on startup, and it fails.

Any Idea about what is going on and how to fix it?
Thanks!

Last edited by iopo (2010-02-19 19:07:55)

#2 2010-02-19 16:16:37

mrunion
Website

Re: [solved] netcfg fails on boot, but works manually

It's happening to me as well, but I've no idea how to fix it.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2010-02-19 16:25:03

n0dix

iopo wrote:

Hello all,

I had a bash script to auto-connect to wifi on startup, worked perfect for a while but stopped working (on boot) after a system update about a month ago. The strange thing is that it did worked ok if I run the script manually after startup...

Today I decided to fix that, and I decided to give a try to netcfg, and two strange thing happend:

1- I did pacman -Syy and pacman -S netcfg and the version installed was 2.2.1-1 (not 2.5.x)

2- I have found that the exact same thing happens!
It doesn't work (FAIL) on startup, but it works perfect if I run "netcfg wireless-profile" manually

net-profiles was added as the last daemon, and the profile was added to NETWORKS, ej: NETWORKS=(wireless-profile). I can see the connection attempt on startup, and it fails.

Any Idea about what is going on and how to fix it?
Thanks!

Can you post your profile?

#4 2010-02-19 16:29:06

csstaub

If you have unencrypted wireless network profiles, make sure you have SECURITY="none" in there.

#5 2010-02-19 17:38:21

zenlord
Website

Hmmm - sure you haven't got the new version, because you would need to change some stuff to get auto-connect to work on boot:

1. The daemon is named differently
2. you need to add WIRELESS_INTERFACE="" to your rc.conf

If it has not already changed, wait until you mirror offers the newest version (or change mirrors to get it immediately)

#6 2010-02-19 19:13:13

iopo

Ok, today netcfg was updated to 2.5.2-1, and the problem was solved.

I think that the problem was the configuration differences of the older version as I have followed the wiki instructions for 2.5.x, now that it was updated works perfect.

Thank you all.

Board footer