I hesitated to re-use the old thread, but it was mostly about transient DNS issues so I'm stating a new one.
I've just updated the site (http://xyne.archlinux.ca/) with quite a few backend and frontend changes. Some most important changes are:
*) The [xyne-any] repo is now located at http://xyne.archlinux.ca/repos/xyne-any so users must update pacman.conf
*) All "info" pages have move from /info/$pkgname to /projects/$pkgname. I'm redirecting requests for now and will gradually update all references.
*) I've almost certainly broken quite a few file and image links here on the forum.
I've tried to organize the site a bit more and make it easier to navigate (I'm happy with the nav tree in the right column). I'm considering adding a news page and maybe an RSS feed to keep people posted about my projects and repos, and anything that might be new on the site. Content on the site is now written in markdown (as opposed to my own custom system, which, although less tedious than html, was still a bit of a pain for larger documents), so I'll probably be adding things to the Notes and Scripts section on a regular basis.
I ran into a last-minute problem when uploading the new files. It turns out that the local server I was using to test the system was newer than the remote one and I had been using features that it didn't have. I've written an ad-hoc script to work around this but it may have bugs that I'm not aware of. This would affect content above all, so if you notice anything strange, please let me know.
Looks just fine to me (front page only for now).
Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.
Thanks, Ghost. Reload the style sheet and let me know if it lines up now. I've explicitly set some style attributes using "!important" in case they weren't respected.
What browser are you using? Do the following standard box-drawing characters line up?
┌─┬┐ │ ││ ├─┼┤ └─┴┘
Doesnt line up for me either google chrome
Certified Android Junkie
Same problem on Chromium.
No problem on Firefox .
It's OK now on both of them Nice work
Yep all fixed now
Site looks good Xyne.
Certified Android Junkie
Maybe this site is useful for checking the layout on multiple platforms/browsers.
The site looks great. It's very cool.
The sidebar doesnt work in opera 10.10
i see a (very) thin strip of it with right and left arrows underneath
and the box drawing in #7 doesnt line up either
Last edited by hullap (2010-04-03 10:49:45)
I can confirm that on Opera (i use vimperator(Firefox) but i had an Opera installed and so i checked it).
Actually it seems that it does render the menu correctly but only gives it a few pixels width. If you go with the mouse in it and highlight the words you can 'scroll' in it sideways, which shows that the menu is there completely. The links in it also work.
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant
The difference in the rendering between Opera 10.5x and 10.10 indicate that it is indeed Opera's fault and that they're working on it. If someone finds a pure xhtml+css solution (i.e. not a user-agent hack) to force Opera to render it correctly without changing how other browsers render it, then I'll gladly implement it.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Last edited by Xyne (2010-04-03 06:52:15)
Not sure if you're concerned with how it looks in Windows 7, but I thought I should point it out either way (main issue boxed in black):
Running on Windows 7 Professional , x86_64, Firefox 3.6.1.
If you'd like my suggestion on how to best fix the site, what I usually resort to is an if-based PHP script to dynamically generate the css file according to OS, browser, and so forth.
In case you want an example, this is the most recent styles.php file I've put together:http://lswest.pastebin.com/Gg659kts. I realize I have some redundant if-statements in there, but that's simply because I was testing the file and haven't yet re-written and uploaded all the changes I discovered.
Of course, you'll probably be able to come up with a better platform-agnostic css file than I could.
Besides that, great site. Very useful tools on there too!
Last edited by lswest (2010-04-03 10:11:53)
Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds