You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-16 03:25:14

viniosity
Website

strange ssh -X behavior

Our office uses an application that is running on a debian machine. I can access the app via ssh -X on my Ubuntu machine but it fails to work on Arch. The only difference that I can tell is that Arch uses Xorg while Ubuntu/Debian are on Xfree86.  Has anyone heard of any incompatibilties like this and how to solve/workaround them?  The weird part is that all other apps (gaim, firefox, etc) seem to work via ssh -X from both the Ubuntu and Arch install so the problem is isolated to our in-house application (written w/ swing I believe).

#2 2005-03-16 19:54:23

xor

Re: strange ssh -X behavior

Hey,
did have sort of same problem running remote x applications using ssh -X host.
It seems to have something to do with the windowmanagers way to handle the x-sessions with applications written for cde/kde.

run xnest:1 (to create another x-session window)
then this command to the machine you want to run the application
DISPLAY=:0.1 ssh -X hostname

this should work, I'm using it myself as I do have this problem aswell

/xor

#3 2005-03-16 22:39:28

viniosity
Website

xor wrote:

Hey,

run xnest:1 (to create another x-session window)
then this command to the machine you want to run the application
DISPLAY=:0.1 ssh -X hostname
/xor

I typed

xnest:1

but that gave me a command not found error.  Also didn't see anything with nest in the repositories. Am I missing a fundamental program to do this?  I recall there's another way to start a concurrent X session (on terminal 8) but dont remember how.. something like startx:-1?

#4 2005-03-16 22:44:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Xnest -display :0 -depth 24 -bw 2 -name XNEST -ac :2 &
galeon --fullscreen --display=:2

or

startx -- :2

i think those are both right...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-03-17 20:12:24

xor

Ehh, sorry but I was reffering to xnest if you have already started x and running your windowmanager...
cactus is absolutely right about how to start a new x session.

/xor

#6 2005-03-17 20:50:00

viniosity
Website

Well, I got Xnest running and launched gnome-terminal inside it. Once I did that I used that gnome-terminal to ssh -X into my server and run the app. Unfortunately I got no love doing it that way either. sad  No worries -- I guess I'll just have to push them for a linux client or something. 

I know they're going to transition the server to Suse9.2 which runs Xorg so maybe that'll solve my issue too.  Anyway, thanks for trying.

Board footer