You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-18 01:44:17

nehsa

Networking w/ linux

I have 4 computers at home, 3 running linux and 1 runs windows (wife's).  Whats the best way to get them all networked?  I read about NFS on the internet but couldn't find anything about it in the Arch wiki, is that the best method?  Since I have to use Samba anyways to connect to the Windows machine, can I just use that to connect all the computers together?

btw-- how many posts before I get the "linux addict" message by my name?  smile

#2 2005-03-18 01:54:32

puntmuts

Re: Networking w/ linux

You can use samba on Linux to Linux machines as well. smile

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

#3 2005-03-18 08:50:08

incinerator

nehsa,

first, what do you actually mean with "networked"? If networked just means you want to ping from one computer to another you probably won't need to install much networking software. On the other hand, if you want to share files and/or printers over the network things may get more difficult. Do you want to act one of the computers to be the gateway to the internet for others? Do you want to run a Counterstrike:Source Server?

The second problem is that your post does give information about the physical network between your computers. Do you have a phyisical network set up already? If not, that needs to be sorted out as well.

I hope you realise that simply asking "how do I network my computers?" won't work. However, if you are that inexperienced that you don't even know how to set up a physical network I'd suggest you get a more "computer literate" friend of yours to help you set it up. Setting up an ethernet or wlan over several thousand miles distance does not work to well, most of us are still working on their telekinesis skills.

If you do not have "computer literate" friends I'd suggest you have a look at the lp2p website to find someone near you. Another good idea is to go to your local LUG meeting.

Cheers,
Dominik

#4 2005-03-18 15:05:21

nehsa

hehe, ok.  three of my computers go through a linksys router.  The other one is wireless via an access point.  By networking, I'd like to be able to share files and print from any computer to my 1 laser printer (which is probably going to be plugged into the Windows machine out of conviencence.)  I don't expect step by step instructions, just wanted general direction.  I'll probably use Samba for all systems since i have to use it anyways.

#5 2005-03-18 15:35:32

puntmuts

I would use CUPS for printing if your model is supported. Works like a charm here and very easy to setup on Windows (ipp://name.of.server/printers/printername) . See www.linuxprinting.org for more details big_smile

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

#6 2005-03-18 16:29:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I think you're talking about file sharing.... right?
Samba is the way to go

#7 2005-03-18 19:50:31

incinerator

For the linux boxes nfs would probably be a convenient solution. However, that won't work well with windows (if at all). To make the windows box see data offered by other computers you will need to install samba on every linux box that is to act as file server. The same goes for the printer server. For non-windows printing I would choose cups. Samba can use cups, as well. If linux clients want to see windows file shares, installing samba is not strictly necessary, the linux kernel has native support to mount windows network shares.

Also, you might want to share user's home directories (or parts of these) accross your computers. nfs/samba are able to do that as well. If the set up gets more complicated, I'd suggest setting up a proper windows domain using samba on one of the linux boxes to act as a domain controller.

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Sam … ollection/

Cheers,
Dominik

Board footer