You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-24 10:46:20

freyr

[solved] ADSL Transient resolver failure, can't ping, only can ping IP

Hi!

I can't make to work my ADSL connection in Arch Linux.
I've followed the Beginners Guide, everything is fine, but there is no internet.
It connects, but I'm not able to reach anything. Pacman say's transient resolver failure, ping says unknown host, but if I ping an IP address, everything seems working.
This problem appears in the live system, in the installed system, in the archiso-live system (http://godane.wordpress.com/), too.
Because in the hungarian forums nobody believed me, when this problem first time appeared, I made a video while I started the live system and tried to connect to the internet. At first time, I don't know how could I solve this, I think it was just an accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alfpd3jexYI

After this, I tried to stop the networking after that configure the connection, but didn't work, I tried to load the tg3 module again (it was already loaded, but I thing that module is needed by my network card, so I made a try) and reconfigure, but didn't work... and I can't find any solutions, ADSL network seems to work anybody except me.

What sould I do?

Sorry about my English!

Last edited by freyr (2010-04-26 17:02:23)

What, so everyone's supposed to sleep every single night now? You realize that nighttime makes up half of all time?

#2 2010-04-24 14:17:27

Sin.citadel

Re: [solved] ADSL Transient resolver failure, can't ping, only can ping IP

it seems that the dns settings are wrong, as pings to ip addresses works successfully. edit /etc/resolv.conf and add your ISP's DNS servers, or you can use openDNS servers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

#3 2010-04-25 18:52:52

freyr

Re: [solved] ADSL Transient resolver failure, can't ping, only can ping IP

Sin.citadel wrote:

it seems that the dns settings are wrong, as pings to ip addresses works successfully. edit /etc/resolv.conf and add your ISP's DNS servers, or you can use openDNS servers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

I don't know my ISP's DNS servers' addresses, but I tried to add the openDNS servers, and it worked! Thanks!!!

But why have I to add DNS servers with an ADSL connection?

What, so everyone's supposed to sleep every single night now? You realize that nighttime makes up half of all time?

Board footer