You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-19 11:09:24

brain0
Developer

recent hotplug / initscripts breaks networking

Since hotplug uses /etc/rc.d/network hotplug_ifup instead of ifup, I had to add my eth0 pcmcia controller to INTERFACES in rc.conf. Since then, networking says FAIL on bootup if the card is not plugged in  (and also shows "network is not running" on shutdown). If I remove eth0 from INTERFACES, the interface isn't brought up when I insert the card into a pcmcia slot.

This needs to be fixed somehow, for example by changing hotplug_ifup to omit an ifup only if the interface is explicitly disabled (!eth0).

#2 2005-03-19 11:14:09

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: recent hotplug / initscripts breaks networking

i have pcmcia net cards - most of what you have said is normal for any removable net device - you are suggesting that the daemon should only ifup a device list in INTERFACES if it is actually present?

I don't imagine that is too hard is ?  I already posted elsewhere about the general state of the Arch network daemon but i haven't had any feedback yet........

#3 2005-03-19 11:27:21

brain0
Developer

Re: recent hotplug / initscripts breaks networking

My point is that I have to choose either having an error on bootup and shutdown if I add eth0 to INTERFACES or I have to ifup my interface manually after inserting the card if eth0 is missing in INTERFACES.

This worked all fine until recent changes in hotplug and initscripts.

Board footer