You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-29 18:00:09

WyoPBS
Website

[SOLVED] Weird new access denied error from Samba

This just started when I did a system upgrade last week (from samba 3.4.3-something to 3.5.2-something).

The hardware: Server is arch, of course; workstation 2 feet away is Windows XP connected by ethernet to a cheap Gateway brand switch.

The filesystem: a folder called /pub with owner set to my primary (non-root) login and group set to the household group, perms 775 so both owner and group have full rw perms.  Also /tmp, owned by root:root with perms 777.  /pub has a symbolic link to /tmp so you can use /pub/tmp as a fully writeable junk area on the network.

The shares: /pub is given smb.conf parameters public=yes, writable=yes, create mask=0775

The login: My XP box has a login that makes it a member of the family group

Up until the upgrade, this all worked fine.  The XP could attach the public share (drive P:) and go to P:\tmp when I wanted to save a temp file, knowing that it would be erased when I reboot the server.

Now, the public share still works great in that I can go to drive P: and all the subdirectories within and read/write to my heart's content... EXCEPT the symbolic link to /tmp.  When I try CD P:\tmp
I get
Access is denied.

The same thing happens on my Windows 7 VM (running on the linux box), so it's not XP.  Other than the upgrade from 3.4 to 3.5, nothing else in the above environment has changed.

Yes, I know there are numerous workarounds.  I could create an actual /pub/tmp folder and include that in the reboot purge... but it's the principle of the thing.  I shouldn't HAVE to do that.

Any thoughts on what's broken and how to fix it, or do I need to take this to the Samba folks?  I always try here first in case it's an arch-specific problem...

Last edited by WyoPBS (2010-04-29 20:12:38)

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#2 2010-04-29 18:07:49

Sin.citadel

Re: [SOLVED] Weird new access denied error from Samba

try adding these to the config file

follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes

#3 2010-04-29 20:17:10

WyoPBS
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Weird new access denied error from Samba

Thanks!  That wasn't the answer, but it prompted me to do some more hunting.  Turns out the latest upgrade fixes a security hole: Enabling UNIX extensions automatically disables wide links.  Since I did not define UNIX extensions, it defaults to yes, so even explicitly adding wide links = yes to smb.conf did not fix the problem.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … ks-801633/
Looks like I can have one or the other, but not both.  So I have to decide which is more important to me.  Or create the folder /pub/tmp and symlink /tmp to it rather than the other way around.

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Board footer