You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-13 02:50:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

[SOLVED]Looking for a tiling manager which supports multiple monitors

I use musca and I absolutely have no problems with it other than this :

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 04#p774104

I also tried emailing the musca distribution list but it bounced, so I am not sure how actively it is being maintained.

So I am on the lookout for a new tiling window manager. I know Xmonad supports multiple monitors, but I do not know haskell and I was hoping to find something else as well. Xmonad is also not a manual tiler.

So let me know if anyone of you knows of a tiler that has the above support.

EDIT : I have already looked at the Comparison of Tiling Window Managers over at the wiki. Infact I was the one who added Musca's entry in that table.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-07-13 05:49:13)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2010-06-13 03:13:19

ataraxia

Re: [SOLVED]Looking for a tiling manager which supports multiple monitors

Have you tried i3? It's more manual than XMonad and less manual than musca. It is conveniently in [community] now.

#3 2010-06-13 03:16:49

clutch

I like dwm (or dwm-sprinkles since I'm lazy and don't want to maintain patches), but I don't know that it would be considered manual.  From what I've heard it handles dual head pretty well, but that's just what I hear, since I haven't gotten around to picking up another adapter to run my old monitor as an auxilliary.

#4 2010-06-13 04:18:42

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

ataraxia wrote:

Have you tried i3? It's more manual than XMonad and less manual than musca. It is conveniently in [community] now.

how does it handle multiple monitors? Of what I have read about it, it does look promising.

pacin i3

finds i3 as a group, so what is i3-status? and i3-wm (I am assuming is the window manager)

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-06-13 04:21:23)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2010-06-13 04:42:29

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I installed i3 - along with the i3status - which I still have to figure out. I am liking what I see as of now. It reminds me of wmii -- when I used it way back when. However I do not like the title bar. I would much rather prefer a 1 px border around the focused window.

But all that is for a separate thread. Will start playing with i3 now and see how it goes. Best of all the multiple monitor setup worked as I wanted it to. 2 groups(a musca term) on the two monitors

Thanks again ataraxia

Forum Rules

#6 2010-06-13 04:55:41

dmz
Website

What you want is stumpwm. Manual tiler that stays of out the way and just handles your windows. The best dualhead support I've seen.

Ratpoison is another very good wm; the multihead isn't quite as nice there as in stump, though.

#7 2010-06-13 06:34:23

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

dmz wrote:

What you want is stumpwm. Manual tiler that stays of out the way and just handles your windows. The best dualhead support I've seen.

Ratpoison is another very good wm; the multihead isn't quite as nice there as in stump, though.

I wasn't sure about the dual head since the comparo didnt mention anything about it.

I will try that out as well and then figure out which one I want to use. Thanks dmz

Forum Rules

#8 2010-06-19 23:42:27

davidm

I use stump and am about to setup a dual head display as soon as UPS delivers my new Video card. smile  I should warn you (or others reading) however that I believe I recall reading something on the stumpwm mailing list that the dual head set up is a little different than a lot of people expect.

I believe each Group/Workgroup has one display for each monitor (So, for example, "Group 1" would have a Display for "Monitor 1" and another for "Monitor 2"). This is as opposed to being able to simply display one Group/Workgroup on one monitor and another Group/Workgroup on the other monitor as many might expect.  I think I recall a developer inviting patches to add on this capability.  Not having used Stump on a multi head display (yet) I warn you however that I may be mistaken.  Incidently from looking again at your other post that you linked to, this might be exactly what you want already. smile

Last edited by davidm (2010-06-19 23:44:31)

#9 2010-06-20 00:56:15

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

davidm wrote:

I use stump and am about to setup a dual head display as soon as UPS delivers my new Video card. smile  I should warn you (or others reading) however that I believe I recall reading something on the stumpwm mailing list that the dual head set up is a little different than a lot of people expect.

I believe each Group/Workgroup has one display for each monitor (So, for example, "Group 1" would have a Display for "Monitor 1" and another for "Monitor 2"). This is as opposed to being able to simply display one Group/Workgroup on one monitor and another Group/Workgroup on the other monitor as many might expect.  I think I recall a developer inviting patches to add on this capability.  Not having used Stump on a multi head display (yet) I warn you however that I may be mistaken.  Incidently from looking again at your other post that you linked to, this might be exactly what you want already. smile

Thanks, but I haven't really given stumpwm a whirl yet. I used i3 and it seems pretty much what I want my wm to do. So maybe I will try stumpwm some other time.

Forum Rules

#10 2010-06-20 08:42:48

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Inxsible wrote:

I installed i3 - along with the i3status - which I still have to figure out. I am liking what I see as of now. It reminds me of wmii -- when I used it way back when. However I do not like the title bar. I would much rather prefer a 1 px border around the focused window.

"i3 was created because wmii, our favorite window manager at the time, didn't provide some features we wanted (multi-monitor done right, for example), had some bugs, didn't progress since quite some time and wasn't easy to hack at all (source code comments/documentation completely lacking). Still, we think the wmii developers and contributors did a great job. Thank you for inspiring us to create i3. " smile

To change the border of the current client, you can use bn to use the normal border (including window title), bp to use a 1-pixel border (no window title) and bb to make the client borderless. There is also bt  which will toggle the different border styles.

Examples:

bindsym Mod1+t bn
bindsym Mod1+y bp
bindsym Mod1+u bb

or put in your config file

new_window bb

from: http://i3.zekjur.net/docs/userguide.html (you probably already found that by now wink)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#11 2010-06-20 17:10:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:

.........(you probably already found that by now wink)

Yes, I did smile

Forum Rules

Board footer