You are not logged in.

#26 2010-06-13 17:28:53

TaylanUB

Re: How do Archers play their music?

MPlayer big_smile

And shellplayer.sh! http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 16#p767416
(I use it for 2-3 of its commands that can't be simulated with simple shell functions, and work on it when i'm bored, for fun.)

Music folder is usually artist/album/song.

Last edited by TaylanUB (2010-06-13 17:31:18)

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#27 2010-06-13 18:42:52

gazj
Website

I have a server running mpd with a sound card in it.  The soundcard output's to a stereo amplifier.  Beside the amplifier I have switches for various rooms in the house.

I can switch rooms on and off as I please.  I can control mpd from any machine in my house.  From my wii using a homebrew app and from ipod touch using an mpd app.

Listening to your fav playlist while in the bath is pretty cool smile

#28 2010-06-13 19:16:11

dmz
Website

gazj wrote:

I do that all the time, listening to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Zelmani and reading some documentation, mostly Perl. Life's good when you're a geek. smile

#29 2010-06-14 03:49:31

upsidaisium
Website

pokraka wrote:

Am I the only one here who listens mainly to real CDs, and even vinyls or the occasional demo tape?
I don't have any audio file on my computer, except the ones I ripped myself from my collection for sharing with friends.
I don't use my computer for listening music, on my system the only thing which can play music is mplayer.

However, since I have many CDs, I keep track of my collection in a text file organized like this :

ARTIST | ISO COUNTRY CODE | YEAR | ALBUM

And the CDs on the shelf are organized this way too (by artists, and then by year of release for albums of the same artist).

You're not that only one who prefers music that way wink Though these days I don't have the luxury because I don't have a stereo, and all of my CDs and LPs are boxed up in my sister's basement half-way across the world! So I ripped what I could onto my laptop before I left a few years ago, and that's all I've got now.

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#30 2010-06-14 09:27:47

lswest
Website

JohannesSM64 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, now I don't need mpc anymore, and it really cleaned up my nowplaying script (ncmpcpp's --now-playing is better suited for scripts than nasty parsing of mpc output)

Glad I could help.  I found ncmpcpp easier to work with in Scripts as well.

As for CDs...I generally listen to CDs either in the car/when I'm in the living room of my house.  At my PC I always listen to my audio files.  Honestly though, if I compare the quality of a song from a CD and the mp3 VBR @ highest quality file of the same song, I notice absolutely no difference.  (I use mp3 because I stick most of my music on my iPod Touch, which doesn't support FLAC as far as I know).

Last edited by lswest (2010-06-14 09:29:13)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#31 2010-06-14 11:22:15

xelados
Website

mpd + ncmpcpp (but more often than not I use keybindings in Fluxbox)

#32 2010-06-14 11:23:26

Allan
Pacman
Website

iPod

#33 2010-06-15 15:27:30

kokoko3k

xt7-player

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#34 2010-06-15 15:57:51

crankyadmin
Website

gazj wrote:

I have a server running mpd with a sound card in it.  The soundcard output's to a stereo amplifier.  Beside the amplifier I have switches for various rooms in the house.

I can switch rooms on and off as I please.  I can control mpd from any machine in my house.  From my wii using a homebrew app and from ipod touch using an mpd app.

Share the Wii app!

:: Github :: My AUR :: Coreboot ::

#35 2010-06-15 16:23:47

sokuban

Ah! I'm glad you asked.

I use MPD with Sonata for my music. Sonata mainly for choosing songs. I have mpd run on user login, and I use my keyboard's media keys to control it.

My music directory is organized in a Language/Artist -> Album -> Songfile pattern. I don't care about individual filenames. I try to order my albums chronologically, but I can admit that it probably isn't perfect.

My artist directories are labelled in a way so that it goes: English/Latin alphabet; Indic Languages; Japanese; Chinese; Korean. Most of these are simply in this order because of unicode, but I have special structures of directories for some languages because unicode collation for those languages simply doesn't work. The tags are kept with the proper name, and the strange directory structure is only for the directories to aid collation. (I should note that I have Sonata set up to organize the music based on directory structure, not artist/album)

All my Japanese artist directories are written in hiragana (even artists with names in romaji; I used to do it for only kana/kanji names, but one day I decided to change that because I was getting used to karaoke lists which put everything in Japanese order). This way they come up in an 50on order in sonata.

Most of my Chinese directories get this place from simply unicode kangxiradical based sorting (I'm debating changing this to something that makes a little more sense to me, but I don't know what to change it to; my karaoke machine has them listed by pure stroke order, which I personally find worse), but Chinese artists with names in the latin alphabet have their name prefixed with a 中 so that they appear in the front of the list of Chinese songs. (If I ever add a Chinese artist with a name that goes before 中 I guess I'd have to change this to something else. I guess I should have made it 一, but I didn't think of that at the time.)

My Korean directories are done in a similar way to the Japanese, with all the artist directories written in hangul. (This is a bit stranger for Korean I guess, but I want consistency with Japanese.)

Also about naming. In general I always try to name my music with the "official" name. If there are multiple official names, then I use the one that should be local to the artist. So diacritics are kept in languages with them, Indic languages use their respective script (this is a really really big pain to find out, but I have miraculously found it out for the few Indian songs I have), Japanese songs use the "official" names (this is really easy, Japanese songs/databases are very clear on what the official name is), etc etc.

One exception to the rule is for Korean where I use hanja when applicable because I like hanja and it makes my life easier. "When applicable" does not mean when there is a hanja version of the word that is written in hangul, it means when there is a hanja version written in a (semi)-official source. For song names, this happens most often in single letter song names which have the hanja in brackets - I'd take only the hanja. Singers who use their real name get their hanja whether they like it or not (if I can find it), but singers who use pseudonyms get hanja only if they have used the hanja for their name in an official non-Chinese/Japanese oriented source. (So MC 몽 does not become MC 夢, but 천상지희 becomes 天上智喜.) Similar things are done for album names.

EDIT: Oh yea, singers who sing in multiple languages, say Japanese and Korean would get two entries in the database, one in hiragana for their Japanese songs, and one in hangul for their Korean songs.

Last edited by sokuban (2010-06-15 16:28:40)

#36 2010-06-15 16:29:18

ctarwater

It's a bit overkill, but I use xbmc for playing all media on my laptop and my media center.  I've been addicted to it since it's use on my soft-modded xbox.

#37 2010-06-15 16:53:56

Udyant

sokuban wrote:

Ah! I'm glad you asked.

I use MPD with Sonata for my music. Sonata mainly for choosing songs. I have mpd run on user login, and I use my keyboard's media keys to control it.

My music directory is organized in a Language/Artist -> Album -> Songfile pattern. I don't care about individual filenames. I try to order my albums chronologically, but I can admit that it probably isn't perfect.

My artist directories are labelled in a way so that it goes: English/Latin alphabet; Indic Languages; Japanese; Chinese; Korean. Most of these are simply in this order because of unicode, but I have special structures of directories for some languages because unicode collation for those languages simply doesn't work. The tags are kept with the proper name, and the strange directory structure is only for the directories to aid collation. (I should note that I have Sonata set up to organize the music based on directory structure, not artist/album)

All my Japanese artist directories are written in hiragana (even artists with names in romaji; I used to do it for only kana/kanji names, but one day I decided to change that because I was getting used to karaoke lists which put everything in Japanese order). This way they come up in an 50on order in sonata.

Most of my Chinese directories get this place from simply unicode kangxiradical based sorting (I'm debating changing this to something that makes a little more sense to me, but I don't know what to change it to; my karaoke machine has them listed by pure stroke order, which I personally find worse), but Chinese artists with names in the latin alphabet have their name prefixed with a 中 so that they appear in the front of the list of Chinese songs. (If I ever add a Chinese artist with a name that goes before 中 I guess I'd have to change this to something else. I guess I should have made it 一, but I didn't think of that at the time.)

My Korean directories are done in a similar way to the Japanese, with all the artist directories written in hangul. (This is a bit stranger for Korean I guess, but I want consistency with Japanese.)

Also about naming. In general I always try to name my music with the "official" name. If there are multiple official names, then I use the one that should be local to the artist. So diacritics are kept in languages with them, Indic languages use their respective script (this is a really really big pain to find out, but I have miraculously found it out for the few Indian songs I have), Japanese songs use the "official" names (this is really easy, Japanese songs/databases are very clear on what the official name is), etc etc.

One exception to the rule is for Korean where I use hanja when applicable because I like hanja and it makes my life easier. "When applicable" does not mean when there is a hanja version of the word that is written in hangul, it means when there is a hanja version written in a (semi)-official source. For song names, this happens most often in single letter song names which have the hanja in brackets - I'd take only the hanja. Singers who use their real name get their hanja whether they like it or not (if I can find it), but singers who use pseudonyms get hanja only if they have used the hanja for their name in an official non-Chinese/Japanese oriented source. (So MC 몽 does not become MC 夢, but 천상지희 becomes 天上智喜.) Similar things are done for album names.

EDIT: Oh yea, singers who sing in multiple languages, say Japanese and Korean would get two entries in the database, one in hiragana for their Japanese songs, and one in hangul for their Korean songs.

O_O    *claps*

#38 2010-06-15 17:21:31

sokuban

Am I the only person who is annoyed by collation methods this much though?

If I wanted Japanese collation, I could set collation to Japanese, but that totally screws up Chinese collation, and even the Japanese collation is far from perfect.

it's gotten so bad that I use zerowidth spaces to manually collate directories/files sometimes. Only problem is I can't use it to mix Latin and CJK.

I'm sure this is the wrong way™ to do it, but I can't think of any better way.

Last edited by sokuban (2010-06-15 17:23:32)

#39 2010-06-15 17:25:32

Runiq

sokuban wrote:

Am I the only person who is annoyed by collation methods this much though?

If I wanted Japanese collation, I could set collation to Japanese, but that totally screws up Chinese collation, and even the Japanese collation is far from perfect.

it's gotten so bad that I use zerowidth spaces to manually collate directories/files sometimes. Only problem is I can't use it to mix Latin and CJK.

I'm sure this is the wrong way™ to do it, but I can't think of any better way.

*goes to look up collation in a dictionary*

#40 2010-06-15 17:56:03

Vamp898
Website

amarok

#41 2010-06-15 18:16:05

TaylanUB

collation = sorting
The output of `ls` or `sort` and such...
LC_COLLATE=POSIX (aka C) all the way. tongue

sokuban, TLDR, but i can tell you're hardcore. big_smile

... And i love Vamp's avatar. (Elfen Lied FTW. /offtopic)

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#42 2010-06-15 19:55:27

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I used to be all about MPD, but these days I don't really listen to music much on my main desktop.

Now it's primarily one of three ways:

1. HTPC running XBMC -> bit-perfect spdif output to my amplifier -> speakers or headphones
2. Record Player -> tube amp -> speakers or headphones
3. Whan on the go portable player: iAudio X5L -> Headphone Amp -> headphones or Phone/N800 -> headphones

On my HTPC I use a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard, a Marantz PM-15S1 amplifier and Marantz HD-880 speakers. For vinyl I use a Rega P3 and a Cayin TA-30 tube amp since I like the sound it produces. For headphones I use Shure e3c headphones on the go and Sennheiser HD650 at home.

Last edited by Zeist (2010-06-15 19:59:08)

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#43 2010-06-15 20:50:17

Themaister
Website

My (file-)server runs MPD, which sends its audio to either desktop, netbook or hi-fi depending on the situation with RSound.

#44 2010-06-15 20:59:19

whiteychs

I switched to cmus after using ncmpcpp and mpd.

I didn't like the idea of using a daemon and creating a new user just to play music. I'll also probably never stream music over a network.  I only wish it allowed for backgrounding without using tmux like mocp or ncmpcpp.

#45 2010-06-15 22:03:22

gazj
Website

crankyadmin wrote:
gazj wrote:

Share the Wii app!

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMPC

It is still very alpha

#46 2010-06-15 22:16:02

Cyrusm

I've been using mocp lately, and I built a home-brew FM transmitter for my pc so I can listen to my music from any radio in the house.

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#47 2010-06-15 23:18:58

Themaister
Website

Cyrusm wrote:

I've been using mocp lately, and I built a home-brew FM transmitter for my pc so I can listen to my music from any radio in the house.

Whoa. Now that's quite original.

#48 2010-06-15 23:24:33

Runiq

Cyrusm wrote:

Wow, awesome idea.

#49 2010-06-16 00:47:41

Wintervenom

whiteychs wrote:

I didn't like the idea of using a daemon and creating a new user just to play music.

MPD will run just as nicely under your regular user account.  You can start it in your Xorg initialization file or in an XDG autostart shortcut and keep your configuration in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mpd.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2010-06-16 00:49:55)

#50 2010-06-16 14:43:38

Cyrusm

For all you wire-biters out there, here's a link to the fm transmitter circuit.  personally, I made a few minor  modifications so that it would work with my computer, it's powered off of +5V from the USB, and interfaces directly with my soundcard. it works pretty well, small amounts of interference from being a somewhat weak transmitter. but otherwise super-cool.

FM Transmitter Schematic

Last edited by Cyrusm (2010-06-16 14:45:39)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Board footer