You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-29 06:05:15

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dhcp giving out the same ips? wtf?

my wireless router seems to get confused sometimes... every now and then, when I restart my wireless, my girlfriend's computer (windows) pops up a little "there is an IP address violation" and she has to get a new address

any clues?

#2 2005-03-29 06:32:28

Moo-Crumpus

Re: dhcp giving out the same ips? wtf?

After restarting the router, are the ip adresses switched, so that your pc now owns the one that former belonged to the other machine?

I never restarted dhcp routers while any pcs where up. Maybe your dhcp router will store the leases in a memory space that is flushed when it is rebootet (mine doesn't). In this case, it will create new leases. For a millisecond, windows will get a new lease that might be the same thing it already owns, and maybe this confuses the os. But, afaik, the leases have no own id, but use the mac adresses only, so it should not do any harm at all.

Sorry, I have some ideas about it, but none is really a good shot.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2005-03-29 08:54:24

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

phrak. how many ip addresses are allocated for leasing on your router? I have mine set to around 5 or so..Only two actual wireless laptops, though..
Also, how long have you set your leases to last?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2005-03-29 15:59:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I believe I have it setup with 20 or 30 possible IPs, only 2 wireless (and no, no one else in the area is leeching, I have it locked down to only allow the MACs from our 2 laptops).  Leases are... hmm whatever the default was...

And it's not from restarting, it just kinda happens...I'll just be doing something, and then my internet connection gets whacked... wireless connection works, but then I walk over to her laptop and it's got the conflict thing... I repair hers, and then I can access the internet again... it's kinda frustrating

#5 2005-03-29 16:26:15

Moo-Crumpus

I read a lot of missbehaving and buggy wireless acess point's dhcp. If yours was one of them ... ? Are you sure it is OK?

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#6 2005-03-31 09:31:09

tomk
Forum Fellow

Any chance your router can handle static DHCP leases i.e. assign the same IP address to the same MAC every time? That would solve your problem, I reckon.

If you can't do that, then I'd go for fixed IP addresses, as there's only the two of you.

Board footer