You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-18 18:19:53

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Is Xorg correct?

Hi there, I was trouble shooting Xorg a few weeks ago but had to stop because I went abroad. I managed to get some sort of screen appear with xterm using startx, I get a black screen, with a white box with command line in it in the top left corner of the screen, the rest is black space and I have an X for a cursor, this is as a non-root user. With Root I see a screen with a small clock in the top right corner, and then two command lines in white rectangle boxes that go down the screen. Looking at the logs these errors keep recurring:

(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so

All my input devices seem to work.
I checked for these two directories/files with ls and they appear to be present.

Am I ok to go ahead and install a desktop environment now or is this not how Xorg should be/not right?

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-05 21:45:45)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-06-18 20:06:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Is Xorg correct?

you should be fine. You can install the DW/WM. You can always keep modifying the xorg.conf even after the complete installation, if errors persist.

Also, you might want to try without an xorg.conf file, if you use hal and input hot plugging which will detect all your devices and load the appropriate drivers on its own.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-06-18 20:07:15)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-06-18 21:36:49

Ben9250
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Is Xorg correct?

OK I will try that, I assume that's simply just making sure that the hal daemon is running and then move xorg.conf off my Arch file-system and then use startx to see if it works?

{EDIT} All working now =] and got network manager installed and a nice new system.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-06-19 03:41:44)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

Board footer