You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-20 19:28:58

TheBadger

General chat?

Hi

Just having a look around Archlinux seeing if I want to join up.

Thing is though, looking at this forum I cannot see a general chat anywhere.... is this forum just solely about arch and nothing more..

Seems a bit cold if so.

maybe I am just missing it though..

either way, Hi!

#2 2010-06-20 19:37:53

loafer

Re: General chat?

There's Off-Topic and GNU/Linux discussion... but you did join, so welcome.  There also a Hello thread as well.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2010-06-20 19:38:40

jmad980

(IRC)
#archlinux-offtopic @ chat.freenode.net

just about anything happens in there
(not always for the faint of hart)

might also want to take a peek at
[wiki]IRC Channels[/wiki]

Last edited by jmad980 (2010-06-20 19:40:28)

Someone call a doctor, my awesome configuration broke again! || To err is human -- to blame it on a computer is even more so.

#4 2010-06-20 19:38:44

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

These two should be what you are looking for:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=20
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=29

Edit: Wow I'm slow, got beaten by two people in the time it took me to post that.

Last edited by Zeist (2010-06-20 20:00:26)

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#5 2010-06-20 19:39:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

TheBadger wrote:

Hi

Thing is though, looking at this forum I cannot see a general chat anywhere.... is this forum just solely about arch and nothing more..

Seems a bit cold if so.

either way, Hi!

If you are on Archlinux forums, what else do you wanna chat about? seems cold? why is that? what else is an Archlinux forum supposed to cater to?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2010-06-20 21:10:46

Gusar

Inxsible wrote:

If you are on Archlinux forums, what else do you wanna chat about? seems cold? why is that? what else is an Archlinux forum supposed to cater to?

Check the "Off The Wall" section at the Gentoo forums. It's crazy there at times (well, all the time), but it's... alive. This forum does feel a bit sterile when even a World Cup thread gets closed. Not that I'm complaining, because when it comes to info about linux, the Arch forum and wiki are amazing. It's just an observation. Quite some people at OTW don't even use Gentoo anymore, but they remain at the forums for the atmosphere.

Last edited by Gusar (2010-06-20 21:11:56)

#7 2010-06-20 21:25:17

Berticus

you can't see any of the general chat stuff unless you're logged in.

#8 2010-06-20 21:27:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Gusar wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

Check the "Off The Wall" section at the Gentoo forums. It's crazy there at times (well, all the time), but it's... alive. This forum does feel a bit sterile when even a World Cup thread gets closed. Not that I'm complaining, because when it comes to info about linux, the Arch forum and wiki are amazing. It's just an observation. Quite some people at OTW don't even use Gentoo anymore, but they remain at the forums for the atmosphere.

To each his own. But if I wanted to chat about the World Cup, I would go to a forum dedicated for World Cup. I would probably find people that are more knowledgeable about it there, rather than at Arch.

Its like saying, it seems cold that the Arch forums don't have a sub-forum for LED TVs or home-theatres or what not.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#9 2010-06-20 21:42:47

fsckd
Forum Fellow

TheBadger wrote:

Hi

Seems a bit cold if so.

either way, Hi!

It's cold cause it's hosted in Canada. You might want to try a server located in a tropical country, if you'd prefer a warmer climate.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#10 2010-06-20 22:18:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

fsckd - LOL smile

However, you should geo-locate archlinux.org again... wink

#11 2010-06-20 22:45:30

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

it's nice and warm in #archlinux-offtopic from all the flaming going on. It really heats up the place -_-

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#12 2010-06-20 22:45:49

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Close enough. tongue

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#13 2010-06-20 23:33:13

Gusar

Inxsible wrote:

Its like saying, it seems cold that the Arch forums don't have a sub-forum for LED TVs or home-theatres or what not.

That doesn't make sense. It's not about a separate sub-forum for every little thing, but about one sub-forum where (almost) everything goes. Including LED TVs, but also including more heated stuff like politics. As I said already, I'm not complaining that the Arch Off-Topic section isn't like that, but it is a valid observation that the lack of such makes this place have a different atmosphere, that one could feel as being cold. Though, from what some people here are saying, it seems the IRC channel is quite the opposite.

#14 2010-06-21 02:12:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

There should NEVER be a sub-forum where politics (and religion) are allowed to be discussed. The internet-using crowd (even those awesome enough to have heard of/use Arch) just cannot handle controversial topics like that. Sadly.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#15 2010-06-21 03:50:41

dunz0r
Website

Isn't that the point of the internet? To argue about stuff? That's what I use it for anyway.

RTFM or GTFO
hax0r.se

#16 2010-06-21 05:29:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Well ya, but every corner of the internet should only be arguing about some stuff. There's many forums for arguing about religion and politics. Over here we argue about Linux and tacos...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer