You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-31 11:22:41

sp1d3rmxn

Where is KDM?

I did the standard.. "pacman -S kde" and even "pacman -S kdebase" still KDM doesn't get installed.  Of course there's no mention of it being excluded and yes I did search using "pacman -Ss kdm" and yes my repositories are setup for core, community and extra.  So what gives?  Someone take it out and decided not to update documentation? (what a surprise)

#2 2007-10-31 11:26:02

sp1d3rmxn

Re: Where is KDM?

So let me ask this... Since KDM isn't getting/going to be installed.. How does one go about starting KDE?  Since the 'startkde' isn't also getting installed I guess I'm supposed to magically start it by waving my hand.  This is why I hate Linux sometimes, it's so annoying how open source does this crap sometimes.  This is why commercial viability isn't easily seen by business for these things.

#3 2007-10-31 11:29:40

Dheart

Get gdm, and add it to your daemons.

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#4 2007-10-31 11:46:40

Klenje

weird... I've installed kdemod, and kdm belongs to package kdemod-kdebase, so it should be installated with standard kdebase package too...

#5 2007-10-31 11:46:50

sp1d3rmxn

Thank you!

#6 2007-10-31 12:31:17

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

sp1d3rmxn wrote:

So let me ask this... Since KDM isn't getting/going to be installed.. How does one go about starting KDE?  Since the 'startkde' isn't also getting installed I guess I'm supposed to magically start it by waving my hand.  This is why I hate Linux sometimes, it's so annoying how open source does this crap sometimes.  This is why commercial viability isn't easily seen by business for these things.

In the Beginner's Guide it clearly states that KDM is installed alongside KDE/KDEbase. It also states that it must be invoked on bootup to become useful.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide
Did you read the Beginner's Guide or consult the wiki? Arch Linux will not assume you want to use KDM and "magically" invoke it on its own. Arch Linux provides many choices, and users are free to use whatever display manager they wish in conjunction with KDE. (GDM, XDM, SliM)
I must say, you have made some very bold statements based on some rather ignorant assumptions. Taking into account that someone actually took the time to learn, and then write, the concepts, methods, and procedures contained in the wiki, only to be confronted by someone like yourself complaining about how  "it's so annoying how open source does this crap sometimes.." when you obviously neglected to read the documentation.

Last edited by Misfit138 (2007-10-31 12:52:50)

#7 2010-06-24 08:19:08

simion314

I can find KDM too, i read all the KDE and KDM wiki pages, i installed kdebase and kdebase-workspace and nothing, kdm canot be started, it is not in /etc/rc.d , so where is KDM? can you KDE packagers make a nice package called KDM like is a package for slim,gdm and xdm? Please

#8 2010-06-24 12:44:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

simion314 wrote:

I can find KDM too, i read all the KDE and KDM wiki pages, i installed kdebase and kdebase-workspace and nothing, kdm canot be started, it is not in /etc/rc.d , so where is KDM? can you KDE packagers make a nice package called KDM like is a package for slim,gdm and xdm? Please

Dude ....this thread is almost 3 years old !!!!

Don't bump old threads. Read the forum etiquettes about bumping

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#9 2010-06-24 13:05:00

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

simion314 wrote:

Use pkgfile and read the wiki.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer