You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-01 03:21:19

Google
Website

Uzbl, help a newbie!

Thanks for coming in~! Prepare for newbie questions!

I want to make the switch from Chromium to Uzbl for a majority of my browsing.

I have used Uzbl on a live Ubuntu environment and the loading is incredibly fast. Even the initial page and all following pages. However on Arch the initial loading of Uzbl-tabbed is not as fast (understandable if this is a dependency issue). My problem isn't with the loading of the Uzbl window, it's with the loading of the actual web pages.

I load pages very quickly on Ubuntu (around 1 second for most pages). On Arch I sometimes wait 3~6 seconds while the page loads (the meter sits at 100%) and finally it budges and loads the page. Sometimes it doesn't even load the page and I have to refresh.

I use the default config that is used when you install Uzbl-core, Uzbl-browser and Uzbl-tabbed. Ubuntu doesn't use any of those, it has simply "uzbl" and I am not sure what it's based on. I assume the page loading speed must be a config problem with the Arch install or something. I am at work so I can't posy my config file yet, so sorry about that!

Does anyone know what I should do about this?

Another question, I don't like typing 'uzbl-tabbed' to load the browser with tabbing enabled. As a matter of fact I don't like writing anything longer than uzbl, so I am wondering if the only way around this is to write a simple bash script that will run 'uzbl-tabbed &' when I use uzbl. I don't use many other arguments when I run it, so having a shorter command would be much better and the default packages in the AUR doesn't seem to use the short uzbl command.

Another newbie question, what happens to the Uzbl cache and temp files? I know it keeps cookies by default, but how does it handle the cache and emptying?

#2 2010-07-01 04:14:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Uzbl, help a newbie!

Google wrote:

Another question, I don't like typing 'uzbl-tabbed' to load the browser with tabbing enabled. As a matter of fact I don't like writing anything longer than uzbl, so I am wondering if the only way around this is to write a simple bash script that will run 'uzbl-tabbed &' when I use uzbl. I don't use many other arguments when I run it, so having a shorter command would be much better and the default packages in the AUR doesn't seem to use the short uzbl command.

Create an alias for it and use it

alias ut='uzbl-tabbed &'

better yet, create a keybinding with xbindkeys and you won't need to type anything at all.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-07-01 16:22:39

Google
Website

Here's a newbie question. I put the alias inside ~/.bashrc ? I have but it isn't working. I am looking around for an answer, was afraid to ask sad

edit:

It appears to work now. I guess it just took a while. Thanks, I should have read more about .bashrc, it's really nice to be able to make an alias so simple.

Thanks!

Now I just need to fix the speed and get a hint style script.

Last edited by Google (2010-07-01 16:29:15)

#4 2010-07-01 17:09:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Google wrote:

Here's a newbie question. I put the alias inside ~/.bashrc ? I have but it isn't working. I am looking around for an answer, was afraid to ask sad

edit:

It appears to work now. I guess it just took a while. Thanks, I should have read more about .bashrc, it's really nice to be able to make an alias so simple.

Thanks!

Now I just need to fix the speed and get a hint style script.

If you ever in the future change some aliases, your new aliases will not work in the terminals that were already open before you added/changed the aliases. They will work in all subsequent terminals. However, you can still have your new aliases show up in existing terminal sessions by doing

source ~/.bashrc

Also, look into xbindkeys, you won't regret it.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-07-01 17:10:36)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2010-07-01 17:09:14

egan

In order for changes to take effect, the .bashrc has to be "sourced" or included in bash's memory. You can do this in two ways: (a) restart bash; it will read .bashrc on startup (b) manually source the files with the source or . command; e.g. source .bashrc or . .bashrc.

#6 2010-07-01 18:21:21

Google
Website

Thanks guys! I will check out xbindkeys as well, Awesome isn't been too friendly with the binding smile

Board footer