You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-06 12:43:42

Rouslan Nabioullin

Gentoo Apostate

I have used Gentoo for almost two years, but after spending a significant portion of my life (I'm not exaggerating) setting/unsetting USE flags, resolving circular deps, editing/merging config files, dealing with SLOTs and alternate versions, waiting for packages to compile, etc., I have decided that this is enough (I did not even mention configuring PIE/SSP, SELinux, hardened kernel, LUKS+LVM2, etc. but I'm not going to use these security features any more). I tried Debian but STABLE was very outdated and TESTING was in fact very unstable. I also tried Ubuntu but it was greatly bloated, is versioned, and is really only meant for newer Linux users.

Would Arch Linux be a good choice for me? I need a distro that is low-maintenance (with respect to package and kernel updates, despite it being versionless), relatively simple to configure, and have relatively new packages.

#2 2010-07-06 12:47:45

lucke

Re: Gentoo Apostate

Sounds like Arch is for you; but giving it a spin is the only way to truly know.

#3 2010-07-06 12:50:28

dcc24

Rouslan Nabioullin wrote:

I need a distro that is low-maintenance (with respect to package and kernel updates, despite it being versionless), relatively simple to configure, and have relatively new packages.

Well, Arch is all of the above, plus A LOT more. I think you will enjoy your stay here smile

Last edited by dcc24 (2010-07-06 12:50:55)

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

#4 2010-07-06 12:56:16

ancient_archer

Yes I agree with all: Arch is the BEST choice for you. Rolling-distro (updated packages are added very quickly), fast, easy to configure, clean, a lot of packages in the repository with no dependency hell (they just install the necessary).

Plus, if you are coming from Gentoo, I don't really think you would have any problems switching to Arch.

Then please describe your feelings about Arch. And don't forget to print Beginner's guide before starting the installation.

#5 2010-07-06 14:47:53

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Rouslan Nabioullin wrote:

Would Arch Linux be a good choice for me? I need a distro that is low-maintenance (with respect to package and kernel updates, despite it being versionless), relatively simple to configure, and have relatively new packages.

That's the definition of Arch right there smile

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2010-07-06 17:14:02

demian

Either you already made up your mind or you're clearly asking on the wrong forums.
Try Gentoo forums.

no place like /home
github

Board footer