You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-05 15:55:56

Ben9250
Website

Mounting - urgh!

Hey all, I have a problem with mounting a DVD-RW I want to reformat to use as a backup DVD. I had an issue with mounting things manually before with Ubuntu that was never solved after 4 hours of reading and then finally asking the chaps at Ubuntu. Anyway, this time I used the disk utility in Gnome to try and format the DVD, but it said "can't, its busy, unmount it" so I clicked unmount, and then it wouldn't find the CD to format it. Anyway I ejected it and put it back in to see if it would auto mount it again - nope. So I did lshw to try and find my CD/DVD-RW on my laptop:

/0/100/1f.1/0.0.0      /dev/cdrom  disk        DVD+-RW AD-7640A
/0/100/1f.1/0.0.0/0    /dev/cdrom  disk

was the result of lshw -short to try and find anything disk related, just doing lshw gave some entries related to DVD as well and a medium mention with the same location of /dev/cdrom. I tried to mount /dev/cdrom and I got the following:

mount cdrom
mount: can't find cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

I looked at fstab and there is an entry for cdrom and DVD:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0

#/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/dvd               /media/dvd  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0

/dev/sda3 / ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda7 /home ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda8 /var ext4 defaults 0 1

There is no mention of CD/DVD drive in mtab:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sys /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
udev /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=385671,mode=755 0 0
/dev/sda3 / ext4 rw,commit=0 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/sda7 /home ext4 rw,commit=0 0 0
/dev/sda8 /var ext4 rw,commit=0 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/ben/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,user=ben 0 0

If anyone could explain to me what is going on here I'd be very grateful, I have little experience with manual mounting because it's usually automatic and like I said I did once try to solve a similar issue on an old ubuntu machine but I hit a dead end with it too.
Thanks.

{EDIT} If I eject and put in another DVD it mounts, but If I put the DVD I unmounted when trying to format in again it does not mount and the CDROM Icon in Computer dissapears. Also, ton confuse matters even more for me, device manager is telling my my device is actually /dev/sr0  and a simple "lshw" is tellime me my drive is also all of these: /dev/cdrom  /dev/cdrom0  /dev/cdrw  /dev/cdrw0  /dev/dvd/dev/dvd0  /dev/dvdrw  /dev/dvdrw0  /dev/scd0  /dev/sr0. This is where I got lost with Ubuntu when I come to think of it! :S

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-05 16:17:46)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-07-05 16:39:05

Ben9250
Website

Re: Mounting - urgh!

I've just discovered a similar problem after I blank a disk that had data on it in the first place and I wanted an empty disk to work on, it dissapears from 'Computer' as though not mounted.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#3 2010-07-05 16:55:05

skunktrader

The entries for cdrom and dvd are commented out in your /etc/fstab

#4 2010-07-05 16:56:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

skunktrader wrote:

you don't need to have fstab entries for CD and DVD. They are supposed to work just like usb drives.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2010-07-05 17:03:21

Ben9250
Website

skunktrader wrote:

If I uncomment them it tells me: mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

- H. G. Wells

#6 2010-07-05 18:27:11

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

Doesn't the burning application usually handle erasing / writing to dvds without mounting them?

#7 2010-07-05 18:45:55

Ben9250
Website

Yeah it does but it is being awkward and refuses to accept the disks existance after a format, also most CD's I have are comming up as Read Only and I get various errors, I think it may be because of permissions and such that may have been set when I created them in Ubuntu, but since then I've changed distro. But either way, I've gone and created a partition, dev/sda9 with the Label Backup for using rsync to put backups or /etc /var and /home as well as pacman stuff and a package list on. I've read one article where a guy goes through it and even makes the backup partition bootable, although I was tentative at first as I'm currently using Grub 2 under Ubuntu as the bootloader and didn't want to meddle with that until I feel ready to kick Ubuntu, which I would guess would be done by deleting Ubuntu Partitions and installing the Arch bootloader (grub (1))? What are your thought's/advice on this? (If I run into trouble I may do a new post for this as I suppose it's becoming a seperate issue now).

- H. G. Wells

#8 2010-07-06 14:36:21

Ben9250
Website

Bump - I got a backup partition now rather than CD's/DVD's, although I am still concerned as to why when I right click and format or blank a DVD it dissapears and I can't seem to manually mount it (mount /dev/cdrom /media/cd -(or own mkdir)) and for all puropses it seems to be unaccesible.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-06 14:36:42)

- H. G. Wells

#9 2010-07-06 14:46:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Maybe your problem might be related to the one rent0n and many others are having.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=100405

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#10 2010-07-06 15:34:15

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Please give us the output of dmesg | grep CD-ROM .

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#11 2010-07-07 14:01:38

Ben9250
Website

Hey, I'm not sure if it is the same problem, it appears to me as if when I put in a CD it detects and mount is fine, apart from those that I've decided to blank so as to get data off them so I can use them as backup, so the automatic mounting works, but not in the case of these blanked CD's that once had data on them. the output from dmesg | grep CD-ROM is as follows after I put one of these blanked CD's in:

scsi 0:0:0:0: CD-ROM            Optiarc  DVD+-RW AD-7640A JD05 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

which didn't really tell me much. Also in computer, where normally, a mounted CD appears, or just an icon representing an empty drive is displayed, among my different filesystems and partitions, when a blanked CD in in, it dissapears totally, and doesen't even give me the drive icon. As soon as I remove the blanked CD, the drive icon returns. Just incase that's relevant.

- H. G. Wells

Board footer