You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-09 17:47:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

[SOLVED]browser hints

I have recently started using jumanji and uzbl and have been trying to understand what input_hinting_mode or hints is.

Until now, I simply used firefox or chromium and never had to worry about all that. But since jumanji and uzbl are more keyboard oriented, I would like to understand what hints does and how it helps in the browsing experience.

The other thing I would like to know is how to use scripts in the browsers. e.g. using a different download script than the default. Can these scripts be used interchangeably between uzbl and jumanji ?

jumanji is this close to becoming my primary browser. I have already gotten rid of firefox. Once I get the hang of jumanji in all the things that I do, I would get rid of chromium as well.

Thnaks

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-07-13 05:36:44)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2010-07-09 18:10:04

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]browser hints

Hints are numbers or letters next to each link or clickable content. You type in the number or letter(s) and it's as if you clicked the link the number labels.

I haven't used jumanji but uzbl has a ~/.config/uzbl/config you can add scripts to.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-07-09 18:19:30

karol
Archivist

I've got hints in firefox w/ vimperator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimperator
(am I the only one a bit surprised we have a Wikipedia article on vimperator?)

Last edited by karol (2010-07-09 18:22:19)

#4 2010-07-09 18:46:22

fsckd
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

(am I the only one a bit surprised we have a Wikipedia article on vimperator?)

People talk of Vimperator as if it's a separate browser from firefox, so not really.

Edit: Noscript has its own article too ...

Last edited by fsckd (2010-07-09 18:47:12)

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#5 2010-07-09 18:51:41

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

fsckd wrote:

Hints are numbers or letters next to each link or clickable content. You type in the number or letter(s) and it's as if you clicked the link the number labels.

I haven't used jumanji but uzbl has a ~/.config/uzbl/config you can add scripts to.

That's exactly what I thought it would be. But unfortunately, I haven't been able to successfully get the hints to work in either browser. I guess I will need to work at it more. I will also look at the vimperator article and see if it can clear up my understanding about the hints.

Will mark this solved once I get hints going.....until then I might continue posting in this thread if I need further help.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-07-09 18:52:12)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2010-07-09 18:57:02

brisbin33
Website

Inxsible wrote:

The other thing I would like to know is how to use scripts in the browsers. e.g. using a different download script than the default. Can these scripts be used interchangeably between uzbl and jumanji ?

it depends on the script. 

in the case of the download script, jumanji can pass two arguments (the url and the filename) through the %s, %s syntax but uzbl will always pass the default 7 arguments (socket, fifo, config file, etc) and an 8th (i think) as the download url.

if you wrote a script that would check if the number of passed args is 2 or 8 and handle each case, it could easily be shared by setting it as the download handler in each browser's config.

/disclaimer -- i use both browsers too and totally plan to do this, just haven't yet; when i do, i can post here.

#7 2010-07-09 19:09:26

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Inxsible wrote:
fsckd wrote:

That's exactly what I thought it would be. But unfortunately, I haven't been able to successfully get the hints to work in either browser. I guess I will need to work at it more. I will also look at the vimperator article and see if it can clear up my understanding about the hints.

Will mark this solved once I get hints going.....until then I might continue posting in this thread if I need further help.

i've posted this also in the jumanji thread, but since it's ontopic here: for hinting in jumanji, download the script to ~/.config/jumanji/scripts/hinting.js and add this to /.config/jumanji/jumanjirc

script ~/.config/jumanji/scripts/hinting.js

then press 'f' on a random webpage (doesn't work in input mode).

by the way, i personally still find the firefox 'search as you type' function the fastest way to navigate; you start typing text on a webpage and it highlights the first matching word (you can press ctrl-g for the next match). if a link is highlighted you press [enter] and it follow the link. this works great, on bbs.arch i type 'pro -> enter', 'sh -> enter' and i'm at my postlist, then another 'sh -> enter' and i see the new posts since my last visit. all this doesn't require entering different modes, using bookmarks or otherwise.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#8 2010-07-09 19:14:27

brisbin33
Website

litemotiv wrote:

i've posted this also in the jumanji thread, but since it's ontopic here: for hinting in jumanji...

also: http://pwmt.org/jumanji/faq/ the first one.

#9 2010-07-09 19:15:40

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

litemotiv, I used that on firefox and chromium as well.

I guess we can use the search function on jumanji and uzbl to do that as well. I think / takes you into search mode, but I could be wrong. I am at work now so I can only check later tonight.

Forum Rules

#10 2010-07-09 19:15:55

karol
Archivist

> i personally still find the firefox 'search as you type' function the fastest way to navigate
I think it works only for the current frame
http://code.google.com/p/vimperator-lab … ail?id=300

#11 2010-07-09 19:23:07

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

brisbin33 wrote:
litemotiv wrote:

i've posted this also in the jumanji thread, but since it's ontopic here: for hinting in jumanji...

also: http://pwmt.org/jumanji/faq/ the first one.

yes but that one doesn't work wink

karol wrote:

> i personally still find the firefox 'search as you type' function the fastest way to navigate
I think it works only for the current frame

any website still using frames needs to be banned, it's maker tarred and feathered

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#12 2010-07-09 19:26:40

karol
Archivist

> any website still using frames needs to be banned, it's maker tarred and feathered
That's thy I asked the reporter to say which one was he using. His answer was:
"Visit for example http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/api/ (...)"
I have nothing against java. In fact, I'm going to make myself another cup.

#13 2010-07-09 19:59:21

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

That's thy I asked the reporter to say which one was he using. His answer was:
"Visit for example http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/api/ (...)"

hmm, works fine with regular firefox search-as-you-type

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#14 2010-07-09 20:07:31

karol
Archivist

@ litemotiv
Have you read the whole bug report?

litemotiv wrote:

if a link is highlighted you press [enter] and it follow the link.

I don't think it works if the link is not in the current frame.

#15 2010-07-09 20:27:50

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

@ litemotiv
Have you read the whole bug report?

litemotiv wrote:

if a link is highlighted you press [enter] and it follow the link.

I don't think it works if the link is not in the current frame.

well it works here as far as i can tell.. however, there is a NO FRAMES link at the top of the page that everybody should press, after that it works a whole lot better.. smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#16 2010-07-09 20:33:47

karol
Archivist

Can you find a link containing 'actiontype' if you turn off the frames?

Sorry for the OT.

#17 2010-07-09 20:41:11

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

Can you find a link containing 'actiontype' if you turn off the frames?

Sorry for the OT.

no, because it's on the 'all classes' list (top of page, next to the no frames link). from there it's a matter of history.back(-1) to view a different class.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#18 2010-07-10 02:07:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Got hints working. Seems pretty useful for minimal browsers where you dont want to get your hands off of the keyboard to the mouse. I see myself using it quite often. Still need to write a script to download stuff using zenity maybe.

I might look at the examples of the uzbl scripts and try to build one for jumanji

Forum Rules

#19 2010-07-10 03:33:00

skottish
Forum Fellow

Inxsible wrote:

Got hints working. Seems pretty useful for minimal browsers where you dont want to get your hands off of the keyboard to the mouse. I see myself using it quite often. Still need to write a script to download stuff using zenity maybe.

I might look at the examples of the uzbl scripts and try to build one for jumanji

I'm half and half between keyboard and mouse when on the web. When I'm motivated, I use the keyboard mostly. When I'm lazy, I go for the mouse (trackball in my case). The fact that there's an option is one of the reason that I like minimalist browsers.

Board footer