You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-11 00:30:56

molqr

possibility of message notification without always visible tray

greetings readers,
i moved to openbox WM after using gnome for some time. i love the fact that i can undecorate applications and gain more usable screen real estate. i realized how unnecessary the top and bottom panels in gnome were ... until i started missing the tray message notifications by iconified pidgin and xchat.

so my question is basically the following:
is there a tray application with the following properties
0) the system tray would remain hidden when not needed
1) when a new message arrives in pidgin, the system tray would start blinking or simply just appear in view but DOES NOT steal focus

basically my priority is to save screen estate while still enjoying the benefits of system tray message notifications.

also i m looking for visual notifications not audible ones.

#2 2010-07-11 01:09:00

karol
Archivist

Re: possibility of message notification without always visible tray

#3 2010-07-11 03:06:02

SamC
Website

You can set up pidgin to use notification-daemon, which should pop up new messages in a corner of the screen.

#4 2010-07-11 05:18:47

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I just used to have stalonetray running at the bottom of my screen. I made its height small enough to fit along with my conky 16px I think it was. Doesn't take up too much space.

Since I switched to i3, I find its better to just not use trays as I can simply assign a whole workspace for skype and so I don't need any tray.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2010-07-11 09:15:41

molqr

thank u all for the replies ... i think i will have to use a tray application .. i m leaning towards stalonetray for now ..

Board footer