You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-03 03:31:48

originalsurfmex

new to networking, want to access port 49152

hi all, i am very new to networking...ive been messing with lamp and dyndns and stuff like that.  i am trying to set up a webserver, preferably media-server, to serve me my videos/files wherever i am on the web.

mycast/orb is awesome - but no linux, i live in a campus and so i think that the ports are blocked...every time i am about to connect to my host from the outside i it fails to open the website.  but when i try to open the host from inside the campus network, it connects without a problem.

currently i have mediatomb up and running and it uses 49152.  are there other ways to access my ip/port?  is it possible that my isp/campus internet security have blocked out all possible incoming ports to rooms?

hopefully my questions are not too ignorant, thanks.

btw.  i have tried a variety of ports.  dyndns is configured to read my router, my router then sends information including port to my computer - 192.168.1.102:49152 locally.  i dont use the 192 when on campus, i use the 17x.xx.xxx.x:49152 router address which automatically goes to my computer (if its within range of my router), however even if i leave my computer connected and in my room i can never connect from the internet from outside the campus.  ideas on what i can do to connect to my computer (preferably the mediatomb page) from anywhere?

Last edited by originalsurfmex (2010-07-03 03:35:16)

#2 2010-07-03 09:41:27

whitethorn

Re: new to networking, want to access port 49152

I wasn't able to get a direct connection to my router from outside my university network.  The usually do close all the ports they don't need, and I doubt they'll set up a port forwarding for you.  I got around this by connecting with VPN to my university network and from there it's not a problem to connect to my pc using it's IP address.  I think that's probably your best shot of connecting to your pc from outside your universitys network.

#3 2010-07-03 11:22:18

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

originalsurfmex wrote:

btw.  i have tried a variety of ports.  dyndns is configured to read my router, my router then sends information including port to my computer - 192.168.1.102:49152 locally.  i dont use the 192 when on campus, i use the 17x.xx.xxx.x:49152 router address which automatically goes to my computer (if its within range of my router), however even if i leave my computer connected and in my room i can never connect from the internet from outside the campus.  ideas on what i can do to connect to my computer (preferably the mediatomb page) from anywhere?

I'm guessing the 17x.xx.xxx.x that you've censored is 172.[16-31].x.x? Please don't censor important information when asking for help -- it makes it so much more difficult. If you must, just censor the very last part.

If that is indeed the case, then the "public" side of your router is still within RFC1918 private addresses that are not internet routable. As whitethorn mentioned, you're unlikely to be able to get the IT Team to setup a port forward from their public addresses to your router, so you're probably stuck with that same solution (VPN to university, then connect to the router through that).

#4 2010-07-03 11:48:54

originalsurfmex

hey sorry about that censoring business, i didnt know that was critical info...your are correct about the public thing and thanks for the enlightenment, this is interesting stuff.

what confuses me is that i tried mycast-orb with windows and that worked fine, and so did homepipe with windows...how are those different? don't they have to arrange some sort of port-access and all of that jazz?  im sure we can do something like this in linux; i looked into amahi, but that is fedora only...

as far as vpn - hamachi doesnt work right anymore on linux, and openvpn says: "OpenVPN is not a web application proxy and does not operate through a web browser."

my goal is really to access my server from any browser, anywhere...ideas?

[edit: i just found this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Webmin would that work with what i'm trying to do - im going cross-eyed here]

Last edited by originalsurfmex (2010-07-03 12:30:55)

#5 2010-07-03 18:52:29

originalsurfmex

i'm going to open a new question...i think this is gonna get off topic.

#6 2010-07-11 23:18:38

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Sorry for slow reply, been AFK for the last week...

originalsurfmex wrote:

what confuses me is that i tried mycast-orb with windows and that worked fine, and so did homepipe with windows...how are those different? don't they have to arrange some sort of port-access and all of that jazz?  im sure we can do something like this in linux; i looked into amahi, but that is fedora only...

I'm not familiar with either of them, so I don't know.

originalsurfmex wrote:

my goal is really to access my server from any browser, anywhere...ideas?

[edit: i just found this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Webmin would that work with what i'm trying to do - im going cross-eyed here]

Nope, Webin is just a web server, so you would still need port forwards etc.

Board footer