You are not logged in.

#26 2010-07-12 23:46:44

mythus
Website

Re: Which is the best DE for a really old pc?

I see that you already made your choice, but I just wanted to say tha I happen to like JWM over LXDE, especially for a light weight environment. JWM is lighter on the resources and snappier than openbox, and it includes a panel and systray and is highly configurable.

I had set up JWM with xfdesktop + thundar and it ran great. I have also had good results running pcmanfm with JWM. But really the lightest, fastest results was with JWM and a light file manager, with no desktop and using JWM to set the wallpaper.

LXDE is good as well of course smile. I just thought that with such a computer JWM would have been a better choice, and almost surprised to see lxde and xfce trumpeted. For your parents, I don't think a tiler would have worked well wink

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#27 2010-07-12 23:51:35

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Which is the best DE for a really old pc?

Yeah, jwm and even icewm are lighter than openbox, but not by much.

DEs are not suited for machines with 256MB ram (of which I have 1 machine)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer