You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-15 16:24:53

Bionic Apple

Hard drive click on shutdown

First my specs:

HDD: 1-day old WD Scorpio Black 320 GB 7200 rpm
Laptop: Thinkpad W500
Kernel: 2.6.34 (fully updated from [core])

Problem: First, let me get to the problem the thread title describes.  When I shutdown, Arch hangs at the "System is restarting...." message for 15 seconds or so.  During these 15 seconds, I can really hear the hard disk spin.  After a second or two of it spinning, I hear a click/snap and what I assume is a motherboard beep.  However, I have all motherboard beeps disabled in the BIOS!  This must mean either the disk is beeping or it is an emergency motherboard beep.  This whole event may repeat itself a second time.  After all of this, it shuts down just fine.  So far, it appears there is no permanent damage.

Now, what makes this really interesting is how Windows 7 responds.  As of now, it does not do this.  However, if my memory is right, during the first shutdown or two with this Windows install, the same stuff happened.  Also, I tested the SMART status of the drive using WD's drive diagnostic tool.  It passes it just fine.

Is this just crappy HDD design that a good driver is supposed to remedy?  Or is my drive faulty?

Secondary Problem:  What I assume is the disk head parking from power saving features is kinda loud.  In Windows 7, the disk sounds like a nice even whir.  In Arch, it whirs, makes a half-click-half-spin sound, and whirs again.

Last edited by Bionic Apple (2010-07-15 16:27:09)

#2 2010-07-15 16:31:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Hard drive click on shutdown

If you are under warranty, then definitely open up a ticket right away. The manufacturer might recognize the issue and replace the HDD for you.

A similar but not the same thing happened on my gf's laptop and Toshiba changed the HDD since the it was under warranty

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-07-15 19:14:58

Bionic Apple

Alright, I'll just get a replacement and see how that goes.

Thanks for the input and I will update the thread with whether the new drive works or not.

#4 2010-07-15 19:28:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Bionic Apple wrote:

Alright, I'll just get a replacement and see how that goes.

Thanks for the input and I will update the thread with whether the new drive works or not.

Good Luck !

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer