You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-15 16:46:15

spiritwalker

help me to install drivers on Macbook pro 3,1 running KDE

Hi,

From what I heard there are few newbies in this forum and most of you are busy. Despite, I decided to ask my questions in the hope that some of you will be kind enough to find a couple minutes to answer them or direct me to the right direction. Thanks for that in advance.

As for my computer, I am using Macbook pro Santa Rosa (3,1).

I have the following questions/issues:
1) Following the wiki I was able to install Arch with kde-base. I was able to successfully connect to the wireless network. I also did modprobe my wireless driver (from what i understand, modprobe is used to autoload additional packages along with the kernel). I also added wlan0 to INTERFACES. However, The wireless network doesnt start automatically after reboot. Connect to wireless option in the KDE's network manager is also greyed out. So how can I get the wireless working on reboot?

2) Some of the F1-12 keys are not working. Volume keys F3-5 are working. Num lock key F6 is also working but the brightness keys F1-2 aren't. I installed pommed too. How can I fix this problem.

3) How can I get the sound working? I've installed alsa but its not helping. I've also included alsa in the DAEMONS.

4) Trackpad right click (two fingers+ click) doesnt work either. Even after installing synaptics.

Thanks.

#2 2010-07-15 20:05:18

V for Vivian

Re: help me to install drivers on Macbook pro 3,1 running KDE

Hi,

I use the same kind of MacBook Pro but am also a newbie. So maybe I can give some hints.

1) To automatically load a module, edit /etc/rc.conf and add the name of the module to the MODULES list.

2) Did you add pommed to the DAEMONS list of /etc/rc.conf ? Works for me perfectly.

3) I just strictly followed the Beginners Guide of the wiki.
- added !snd_pcsp to MODULES in rc.config
- installed alsa-utils
- installed alsa-oss
- added myself to the audio group
- invoked alsamixer to unmute channels

4) It can be configured in some files located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ . I've never looked into that because I use an external mouse.

Hope some of that helps,
Viv

YES WE CAN
(but that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to)

#3 2010-07-15 20:12:36

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

1) The MODULES array is deprecated. all modules are automatically loaded depending on what hardware is detected. BUT you can still use that MODULES array to explicitly load/unload a module that the hardware detection routine might be missing

2) --

3) make sure you configure alsamixer as your user and not as root. Also add yourself to audio as Vivian suggested.

4) you might have to configure udev to look for synaptics. Can you post /etc/evdev/10-synaptics.rules

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-07-15 20:13:04)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2010-07-15 22:28:14

spiritwalker

Thank you guys both.

lnxsible, there is no /etc/evdev/10-synaptics.rules file.

#5 2010-07-15 23:15:35

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

facepalm !!

Sorry, I meant the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf

I was confusing myself with the udev rules.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2010-07-15 23:53:08

spiritwalker

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
              Option "TapButton1" "1"
              Option "TapButton2" "2"
              Option "TapButton3" "3"
EndSection

Board footer