You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-16 17:25:30

trilobyte-

[Sovled] New Archer!

Hi Everyone!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Jordan Lovelle, I'm 13 years old and live in Australia. I couldn't sleep tonight, so I thought I'd try my move from Fedora to Arch Linux. I'm loving it so far, I have KDE up and running, got the sound card working as well as most of the graphic card drivers! I'm happy so far. smile Arch seems like a very good distro.

There's one problem I'm having, how am I able to enable 3D support so I can use Compiz / Emerald etc? It would be great and make my computer complete if anyone knew how. Details:

[root@Fain jordan]# lspci | grep VGA
00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C73 [GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i] (rev a2)

Thanks for anyone who helps me out with this. I'd really appreciate it. smile
Thanks guy.

Last edited by trilobyte- (2010-07-17 07:24:31)

#2 2010-07-16 17:28:25

brisbin33
Website

Re: [Sovled] New Archer!

have you followed the nvidia wiki page?  i believe compiz et all should work just fine if using the proprietary nvidia package.

#3 2010-07-16 17:33:21

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2010-07-16 18:03:56

trilobyte-

Hello.

Thank both of you for your reply, although I'm a little stuck at the moment. I was reading off the NVIDIA wiki pave and followed it. But there seems to be a problem. I had the nouveua-dri and liblg (or something) installed. It said I needed to remove those to install nvidia and nvidia-utils, so that's exactly what I did.

For some reason, it didn't work at first, but after a quick reboot it started to load up the KDE login manager. I was happy because I had thought it worked, when I realised my KeyBoard or Mouse didn't work. I couldn't type or point and click with my mouse. To solve this I tried to stop KDM from booting up when I ran it with the daemon, by pressing CTRL X a lot when I saw it say loading KDM. That's obviously not the smartest way to do it but it's the only way, I can't log in to do it any other way.

Now I'm on a terminal screen (no display manager) with a low resolution, with the drivers I had before the resolution even on the terminal screen was still higher, but it's small again. I think I didn't let something load properly, because I'm unable to use Pacman, and the prompt at the start of my lines says "[root@(none)]". :S

Basically I can't boot up and log in because the keyboard or mouse don't work, and terminal isn't working because I can't get to it without stopping KDM which breaks something and doesn't let terminal work anyway.

Any ideas? :S
Thanks.

#5 2010-07-16 18:16:54

wonder
Developer
Website

"[root@(none)]". :S

means that in rc.conf you don't have a HOSTNAME set up at all

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#6 2010-07-16 18:21:15

trilobyte-

Yes, I do. It's usually [root@(Fain)], but it only says that when I interupt it from loading completely.

#7 2010-07-16 21:09:20

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

if you load the fallback kernel instead you should be able to do normal system maintenance. from there it might be best to set your runlevel back to 3 in /etc/inittab, so you can experiment from the default kernel again without autostarting kdm.

good luck smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#8 2010-07-17 01:18:39

ewaller
Administrator

I realised my KeyBoard or Mouse didn't work

That generally means you don't have xf86-input-evdev installed, or, with xorg-server < 1.8, you don't have hal running.

Can you please verify your xorg-server version?
Can you provide a dump of /var/log/Xorg.0.log  ??  I know that can be tough without Xorg running, so if you can't, take a look through the log for (EE) tags in the output -- especially if they talk about keyboards or mice.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2010-07-17 02:12:14

trilobyte-

litemotiv wrote:

if you load the fallback kernel instead you should be able to do normal system maintenance. from there it might be best to set your runlevel back to 3 in /etc/inittab, so you can experiment from the default kernel again without autostarting kdm.

good luck smile

Hi.
I booted in to my Fallback kernal, but the same thing happened.KDM still started up, so it still came up with KDE loading and I couldn't use my mouse etc. and I can't seem to stop KDM booting up via that either.

That generally means you don't have xf86-input-evdev installed, or, with xorg-server < 1.8, you don't have hal running.

Can you please verify your xorg-server version?
Can you provide a dump of /var/log/Xorg.0.log  ??  I know that can be tough without Xorg running, so if you can't, take a look through the log for (EE) tags in the output -- especially if they talk about keyboards or mice.

I never installed xf86-input-evdev manually, so that could be the problem. I also don't have a hal running obviously for it ether.
I'm still pretty new to linux, even though I've had experience with Fedora. Could you please explain how I could verify my Xorg-server version, provide the dump for /var/log/Xorg.0.log or how  I can look through the EE tags with the output?

I have a feeling I wont be able to do tihs, because I can't stop KDM loading up, and I can't use my keyboard for CTRL ALT F3 or whatever to get a terminal on there. I think reinstalling may be the best way to go?

#10 2010-07-17 02:28:07

ewaller
Administrator

All of the following can be done on the console:

xorg version can be determined by:  pacman -Qs xorg-server

look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log by:  less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
find EE by typing a '/' followed by "EE<return>"
find the next one by typing "/<return>"
move up/down using arrows or j or k
go to the last line by typing "G"
go to the first line by typing "1G"

are you running sshd?  If so, log in from another computer that will run Xorg and a terminal window (konsole, xterm, etc...) do a cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log , copy the text output to the clipboard, and paste it into your browser

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2010-07-17 02:31:16

trilobyte-

Hi.

Thank you so much for the help, but I've decided to go the easy way and re-install arch (as it doesn't really take that long). This time I will not be installing anything with nouveau, and just install the nvidia and nvidia-utils like the main Wiki page says. I will also install Xorg. Although I'm curious, it says that the Nvidia auto-config tool automatically configures Xorg for you, is that corrent?

This time I'll not set KDM as a daemon until I'm sure it works properly.
Also, what must I install for my keyboard and mouse to work using the Nvidia driver that automatically configures Xorg? Was it xf86-input-evdev? And is there any configuration needed for it?

Thank you.

#12 2010-07-17 03:43:23

JackH79
Website

trilobyte- wrote:

Although I'm curious, it says that the Nvidia auto-config tool automatically configures Xorg for you, is that corrent?

Have a look at the Nvidia wiki page and read the warning in the "Automatic Configuration" section. For starters, it's probably a good idea to try running X without a xorg.conf.

trilobyte- wrote:

Also, what must I install for my keyboard and mouse to work using the Nvidia driver that automatically configures Xorg? Was it xf86-input-evdev? And is there any configuration needed for it?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … r_Packages

It might be a good idea to just read the whole section of installing X before you begin actually installing it, so that you understand what's going on.

Last edited by JackH79 (2010-07-17 03:49:06)

#13 2010-07-17 05:24:52

trilobyte-

Thank you, this is now solved. I've booted in to KDE succesfully with the nvidia drivers and keyboard + mouse working. smile

#14 2010-07-17 05:28:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

trilobyte- wrote:

Thank you, this is now solved. I've booted in to KDE succesfully with the nvidia drivers and keyboard + mouse working. smile

Congratulations !..

also once your questions are answered, it helps if you edit your first post and put [SOLVED] before your subject line. That way someone else with a same or similar problem can quickly get to solutions.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#15 2010-07-17 07:24:17

trilobyte-

Sorry about that, I forgot to add the tags. Adding them now. Thanks for everyone's help. smile

Board footer