You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-04 01:44:37

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Modified Kernel Question

I've decided to change the stock arch kernel on my machine from supporting the standard pentiumII to my cpu (AMD Athlon).
Heres what I did:
1 make menuconfig, select athlon instead of pentiumII and save.
2 copy over the .conf to the /var/abs/kernels/blabla folder.
3 Backed up old and renamed it to .conf to conf.
4 ran makepkg and observed all but conf md5sums were verified.
5 Backed-up and adjusted PKGBUILD to accept the md5sums.
6 re-ran makepkg and installed via pacman.

My question is should I expect any problems with this 'modified kernel' or the method I created it? Will it really matter I even changed it to Athlon?

#2 2005-04-04 01:56:36

Kern

Re: Modified Kernel Question

keep us posted on the results. im in similar hardware, just running stock Arch on an  AMD Athlon XP 2400+

btw, when kernel tinkering,  shouldn't you have "sacrifice chicken" somewhere in that list of what to do ?

smile

#3 2005-04-04 02:16:00

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

7 Sacrifice Chicken.
8 Bless and drink its blood.
9 Bark at moon.
lol

It's running fine so far, after a couple hours..no problems. I'm not getting segfaults with clamscan anymore but it maybe just an update.
I was a little concerned with how the rest of my system's programs would react to the change, being pII optimized...

#4 2005-04-04 02:35:34

MNKyDeth

You prolly won't notice much if anything just changing the cpu type in the kernel. Basically, imo, you roll a kernel if you want to learn how to do it, if there is a hardware prob that can be fixed but adjusting some stuff and such.

I roll my own and strip everything out of the kernel that I would never use, and if I set it up specifically for just the hardware I use then I can get compile times without using ccache of about 2min on my 3400+.

It can help on boot times aswell by stripping out all the extra stuff that you would never use aswell plus it won't use as much memory.

Board footer