You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-21 03:41:41

maroxe

[Xorg - DualScreen] Auto configuration when hotplugin a monitor

Hi,
I tried dual screen on archlinux, it works like a charm. But there is a problem: I must start xorg before i plug the second monitor, otherwise it doesn't work. How can i fix this?
Also, i want the second monitor to be on the left of the main monitor, for this, i use arandr. How can this be done automatically each time i plug the second monitor?
I am not using xorg.conf at all, I am wonderring if i can create one with only the options i need to edit(dual screen configuration on my case) and are different from what Xorg would done without this file?

I am not a native speaker, so if something isn't clear, please let me know to clarify it.

thanks a lot.

#2 2010-07-21 03:48:30

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [Xorg - DualScreen] Auto configuration when hotplugin a monitor

See this thread for my xorg.conf and an xrandr command in .xinitrc which sets the dual monitors.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 99#p795399

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-07-21 03:49:33

karol
Archivist

> I tried dual screen on archlinux, it works like a charm.
Show your config.

#4 2010-07-21 03:57:23

maroxe

karol wrote:

> I tried dual screen on archlinux, it works like a charm.
Show your config.

Like i said, i don't have one. But here is the xorg.log:   http://pastebin.archlinux.fr/405436

thanks Inxsible for sharing. But i don't want to use dual screen all the time. I have a laptop, i use the second monitor only at home, so i am looking for a way to automate switching single screen <-> dual screen.
I tried your command, but the second screen is not recognised because it was plugged AFTER xorg started

edit: I read in the wiki that creating a xorg.conf is deprecated, i should continue reading...

Last edited by maroxe (2010-07-21 04:01:29)

#5 2010-07-21 04:00:49

karol
Archivist

But how do you switch from one layout to the other: what command, what app do you use?

> edit: I read in the wiki that creating a xorg.conf is deprecated
Yeah, but sometimes the old way just works and the new one ... is new.

Last edited by karol (2010-07-21 04:01:40)

#6 2010-07-21 04:05:44

maroxe

I use arandr(which is just a graphic-wrapper for xrandr)
Like i said, i can't have dual screen if xorg is started before the monitor is plugged in

#7 2010-07-21 04:28:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Are you using nvidia? If so you can specify what monitors are connected in xorg.conf (that's what I do) so that even though no external monitor is connected it believes it is.

I've tried before to hotplug monitors but never got very far (lack of significant interest as well) since I just bind my resolution-switch to a key.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-07-21 04:31:24

maroxe

No i am not using nvidia. I use intel.
The trick you gave me is not very KISS roll . Since i choosed Arch (unix in genral), I prefer to do thing the right way.
Any way, thanks for your reply. wink

Last edited by maroxe (2010-07-21 04:31:40)

#9 2010-07-21 05:25:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

maroxe wrote:

The trick you gave me is not very KISS roll . Since i choosed Arch (unix in genral), I prefer to do thing the right way.

If you were using nvidia, that WOULD be the right way. I'm not sure what your understanding of KISS is, so I won't comment on that.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2010-07-21 05:28:17

karol
Archivist

Karol <kiss> ngoonee :-)

Board footer